What Makes a Good Bio?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

What Makes a Good Bio?

Postby AboveAllTravel on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:07 am

I've been writing some articles & guest blog posts but I'm stuck with the icky bio that I have.

It's hard to be creative and compelling when you're writing something about yourself.

So, what elements go into making good bio?
AboveAllTravel
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:19 am

They often say that one of the hardest things to write about is yourself! You could try having a close friend write some notes for your bio for you. Or even have them write the actual bio for you ;)

There's also a lot of personal preference about how much personal stuff you want in there and how much business stuff you want in there etc...

When I read a bio/about me page I like to see a little personality peeking through, maybe a pic if applicable,

What kind of length are you looking for on this bio? Just a few lines of text or a whole about me type of page with maybe two or three paragraphs?
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:44 am

I think it depends on who you are marketing to.

For instance, if you were marketing to executives of a large corporation and the goal was to get them to buy your product, then you wouldn't want to waste your valuable bio space with information about how you are a loving wife and a mother of 6. Instead, you would want to give interest piquing information about your company or product and direct them to give you a call, download a free report, request a sample or something where they could learn more about what your product can do for them.

On the flip side, if you were marketing to moms, you might want to make it a bit more personal but still direct them to do something.

The goal is to get them to DO something.... something more than just "go to my home page to read more".

Also, from my experience, shorter bios that get the point across quicker works better. So try to keep it to just a few lines. Something like...

----
Polly Pineapple has been in the quilting business for over 20 years. She has been featured in several world-wide magazine and has had guest appearances on the popular TV show, The Quilting Bee. To download Pineapple's free stitching techniques to fabulous quilts guide, click here.
----

Ok, that's not a great one but it gives her experience, highlights her accomplishments and tells the reader what to do.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Mara B on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Mel, those are some great tips for writing a bio. I really need to work on one so I can start submitting articles. Thanks for the tips and for being willing to share them. :)
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby AboveAllTravel on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Changing my name to Polly Pineapple and taking up quilting. :lol:

Thanks Mel. That was really helpful.

When I figure out how I'm going to phrase my bio and what free thing I write to give away, I'll let ya'll know!
AboveAllTravel

Bios

Postby rosie327 on Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 pm

That was brilliant! I think it's a good idea to do one of each (business style, conversation style) and revisit them from time to time for additional inspiration and updates.
Staying home, making a living AND Making a difference! www.iboplus.com/40466086

Save 80% on dental, plus savings on vision, prescription and chiropractic, too! www.BenefitsByRosie.com

Is it real, or is it just reality?
www.rosiereality.blogspot.com
rosie327

Re: What Makes a Good Bio?

Postby dadathome on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:55 pm

AboveAllTravel wrote:I've been writing some articles & guest blog posts but I'm stuck with the icky bio that I have.

It's hard to be creative and compelling when you're writing something about yourself.

So, what elements go into making good bio?

A suggestion - grab a friend (from here?) who knows you, is into online marketing, and get that person to write it for you.

Cheers,
AllanJames
(the StartBusinessMentor)
dadathome

Return to Getting Started