Asking for too much on my non-existent budget?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Postby 2lilbeans on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I am finallly off for my summer vacation & I would love to make it permanent and work from home! I am an excited newbie, but completely overwhelmed with information. It's a great problem to have, but I feel a bit paralyzed with where to start. I love all of the ideas that I'm reading here, but I have sooooo many questions about how to do these things without ANY money to help!

I may be asking for too much on my non-existent budget, but...

:?: Where can I go to easily build (I also don't have a lot of HTML knowledge) a professional looking website for very little?

:?: Are there other no cost ways to effectively promote that won't be a waste of time?

Like I said, I've done so much reading and researching that I've confused myself and I'm finding that I don't know how to apply anything that I've collected.

I'm not looking for anyone to pave a golden road for me or expecting easy answers, I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels and going nowhere.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

~Nicole
Change your thoughts and you change your world.
Find out where to start at 5 steps to “set & forget” traffic generation
2lilbeans
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Audrey on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 am

Hi Nicole,

Promoting inexpensively:

1. newsletters
2. message boards
3. plug boards
4. blogs
5. article writing
6. create an ebook
7. press releases
8. sponsor a contest

About the website....You can use one of the free services out there, however I personally believe that sets you up for failure. I've asked and asked and asked again and no one admits to ever making a purchase from a free website. So, I have to believe that the vast majority of shoppers do not make purchases from free websites.

Having said that, you can still have a nice site for a limitied amount of money. I know Internet Based Moms offers a site builder service, hopefully one of the moderators can provide more information on that service.

You can register a domain name for one year for under $10. You can host the site for well under $10 per month. So, now you're left with the content of the site. There are a ton of wahm's out there that can help you. I've seen some incredibly sites done by wahm's very inexpensively. I just believe you stant a much better chance or success if you have your own domain, versus using a free site.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby lwillard on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:41 am

Nicole,

I will second Audrey on the free website. My first website was built with http://www.simple-web-site.com. Very straight forward and I was able to get my site up within a few days.

My second site was built with SBI or Site Build It. It's much more detailed, but is so much more than a web hosting package. It really takes the guess work out of building a quality site. It really changed my outlook and helped me see the big picture.

The following are low cost activities that will help grow your business.

1. Social Networking such as Myspace, Squidoo, Facebook
2. Writing articles
3. Blogging
4. Networking on forums

These are some of favs. :D
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby BethinArkansas on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Lisa's right on target. With little or no html knowledge and little money, you need Site Build It. It's about $299, but it contains thousands of dollars worth of benefits, including the domain name and hosting and strong guidance for building a search engine friendly website.

Blogs and Squidoo lenses have been very good for us promoting our sites.
BethinArkansas

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Site Build It is a great recommendation. I know it's probably a scary one with just getting started, but you won't regret it. It can be a very valuable tool.

You could also use WordPress for your website. It's not just for blogging. Most hosting packages have one click installation that will set it up for you. There are plenty of professional, clean, nice looking WordPress themes out there or you could have one customized for your site without breaking the bank.

The first place to start is definitely a domain name and hosting of your own, no matter what direction you decide to go.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mila on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am

Site Build It! is completely worth the money and any business is going to take some start up expense... when you think about it 299 is very little for starting a long-term business. They also have a special going on at the moment. You can read more about SBI! here How to Build a Website
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby 2lilbeans on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:32 am

Thank you all so much!! This is such a supportive community and I appreciate all of the information. I'm really glad this is site here.
~Nicole
Be an Advocate ~ Show Support ~ Make a Statement with Cute Tees at Giggle Patch
2lilbeans

Postby Mel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:27 pm

The Internet Based Family Easy Website Builder that Audrey was talking about is here: http://www.internetbasedfamily.com/

It's a snap to use even without html experience. They have a 14 day trial period so you can see how it works and there are training guides for doing a lot of different stuff with it.

I've heard SBI is great if you can afford it but if you absolutely can't, then you might want to try the IBF one.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

And if you get stuck along the way putting things together don't be afraid to come by these boards and ask for help!! There are plenty of talented folks that hang out here that are more than happy to help people get un-stuck! :D
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby 2lilbeans on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:30 pm

I will try this out--thanks!!
~Nicole
Be an Advocate ~ Show Support ~ Make a Statement with Cute Tees at Giggle Patch
2lilbeans

Postby DianaWalker on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:15 am

Hi Nicole,

You are certainly in the right place to get more focus and the right answers.

I absolutely love the Internet Based Family website - I created my www.diana2.com with it 3 years ago, and I was so grateful to find something that was easy - almost like "paint-by-number", because I had struggled and been overwhelmed and confused for a couple of years before I found that Easy Website Builder.

Then I have 3 WordPress blogs - but I have paid others to set them up, and then I blog and keep them up that way.

Anyway, I sure hope you find what you need and can do it on a limited budget.

Diana
I love helping people go from craving junk food to craving healthy food!

Diana Walker, Cravings Coach
http://www.thecravingscoach.com/blog
http://www.dianarecommends.com
DianaWalker

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:28 am

One more plug for SiteBuildIt. We're in the process of using it for a second brain injury website. We're using the Content 2.0 add-on (another $99 per year) - but has the potential to being very much worth it and more.

Content 2.0 allows you to create a website section and invite your site visitors to write content that you can then modify and approve for publication. Each "approval" creates a new page for your site.

Another thing is being able to create an XML feed of your entire site (just like a blog). Visitors to your site can then add your feed to Google Reader, My Yahoo, or whatever and keep up with site updates and changes.

An example of page building is our Brain Injury News section. It has a live feed from Google News and allows anyone in the world to contribute news items. We think it's pretty neat.

You can see it here. http://www.brain-injury-online.com/brai ... -news.html

The bottom line is that the more we learn about SiteBuildIt, the more we like it.
BethinArkansas

Postby homenotion on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey Nicole,

All of the suggestions, particularly with regard to Sitebuildit are good ones, but I've also come to discover another product that if you are in the market for selling what's already out there works very well.

The product is called 'Build a niche site' or bans. I bought it last year and have done extemely well with it and haven't that much effort into it at all.

BANS creates an eBay website from eBay niches. In other words you research eBay for a niche you like, i.e. Gucci Bags, kitchen gadgets, whatever, and BANS builds a site that contains the ebay products for your niche. It's a very cool idea and works very well. I love telling people about it because it's such an easy site builder. You still have to find our own domain name and get a web host but it guides you through all that as well.

Sorry, you're probably getting overwhelmed with TMI again but for what it's worth I think this is a good option for anyone starting out.

I liked it so much I did a whole review on it:
http://www.homenotion.com/build_a_niche_store.html

Best of success to you,
homenotion

Return to Getting Started