Is there a good time to start?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Is there a good time to start?

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:29 pm

There's no easy answer to that question. It's probably different for everyone.

Of course starting a new venture the day before you go on vacation for 2 weeks is probably not the best idea.

I know for me I had to just jump into things. Otherwise I end up thinking about it forever and not doing anything.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:08 am

If I had waited for a good time to start, I'd still be waiting. I did postpone it for a while though because I was as scared of success as I was of failure. Silly, I know! :lol:

There's never going to be a "perfect time" to start a business. In my opinion, once you've done your homework, created a plan, and feel confident that you sort of know what you're doing (you don't have to know it all), I say just take the plunge and see what happens.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby lwillard on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:50 pm

I agree....There will never be a perfect time. If you wait for just the right time, you will probably never get started.

Pick a business that appeals to you. One that sounds fun and that interests you. Quit worrying about this and that and just get started. Not knowing which direction to go first can be overwhelming, but so many will not make a decision and then just absolutely do nothing.

Don't let fear hold you back. All succesful people have had their share of failure. So be one of them. :D
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Mel wrote:If I had waited for a good time to start, I'd still be waiting. I did postpone it for a while though because I was as scared of success as I was of failure. Silly, I know! :lol:

That was me too! :lol: One day I just said to myself "JUST DO IT ALREADY!" and I did and that was that.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby brookiel on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:54 am

I found myself starting a new venture, when I had some free time... once things had settled down with my newborn and we were in a routine, she was sleeping (and I was bored!lol)
brookiel
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Brooke brought up another interesting time line point... having a new baby.

A lot of new wahms want to start right away, they've just had a new baby or about to have a new baby and that's when they start looking for work at home opportunity or thinking about taking their current job and turning it into a work at home office for themselves.

This can be a really hectic time to start a new business venture, but it CAN be done. After all, we all know that having a baby doesn't stop time - as much as we might like it too.

But, in this busy time I think it's important to let people know what your availability is. That between this time and this time you might be away tending to baby.... or that you'll be taking a week or two off to have your baby etc...

As long as you communicate with your clients any time and any situation can work out! Don't be afraid to give something a try.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Heartnsoul on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 pm

I agree. There is never a perfect time to start anything. There is no right or wrong either. It's all choices and making a choice is always a good thing!
Heartnsoul

Postby BethinArkansas on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:07 am

I'll have to admit that I was the skeptic when Larry was plotting and planning...and telling me that he was ready to quit his supervisory job at EDS (Electronic Data Systems - yes, Ross Perot's company).

He talked and talked about how he'd set aside enough finances to protect us for a year with his EDS salary. My thought - what would we do after a year with him having no job and a big chunk of our savings gone!!!

Then, on July 15, 2003, he walked out of his office at EDS carrying a box with his personal items. And he's still working fulltime at home. In April of this year I was laid off from my position as a computer networking analyst at a Fortune 500 company and joined Larry working fulltime from home.

Yes, it's like walking on a high wire without a net, but I'm loving every minute of it. Uh...skeptic that I was. Emphasis on "was."

I fully believe Larry's planning laid the foundation. Sure he had some mishaps and miscues along the way, but he never questioned his ability and I never questioned his determination.

Our family and friends questioned everything and, even after five years, are no support -- well, except for two people. I guess I should have said virtually no support.

So, don't plan on making any money with a business where you sell to your family and friends. That might work for a month, but that's probably it.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 am

I think lack of support from family and friends is one of the things that keeps people from starting. I wish more people would find IBM sooner in their journey so that we can ease their getting started fears!

My family and friends still don't "get it" after almost 8 years of me working from home.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Patrysha on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm nodding my head to the posts here so far...

There is no perfect time and family just doesn't get it. Oddly enough even the entrepreneurs with businesses of their own don't quite get what I do.

We still haven't told my father in law that I've come home again, just because we don't want to deal with the negativity that will come with that announcement -
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
http://www.pkmarketingsolutions.com
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby cherie27 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:19 am

There is no perfect time to start a business.
It is only your own mentality whether to start or not.
Once start the business, you have to be committed to it.
cherie27

Return to Getting Started