A scam! How do you classify a scam?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

A scam! How do you classify a scam?

Postby cherie27 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:29 am

How do you classify an opportunity as a scam?

I have a prospect that joined this opportunity, but due to his carelessness, he didn't wish to continue after a month, he forgot to cancel his account. He told me that was a scam. I was shocked at that time.

Can anyone tell me is it a scam??
cherie27
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 am

Based on the information you gave, if he didn't cancel his account and if the information he received told him clearly that he had to cancel, I wouldn't consider it a scam. However, I've been on the opposite end of things where I tried and tried to cancel something, followed all the rules, requested the cancellation a week or more before the deadline, etc, etc. It took me having to put a freeze on my bank account to get it to stop. That was after the company took 3 months of payments more than they should have. I never received a refund and the company wouldn't return my calls. That is a scam. I've also had issues where the cancellation details are intentionally confusing or are hidden so deep in a web site that you cannot hardly find them and I feel that shady dealings like that are scams too.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Audrey on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:29 am

It sounds like it was his error.

Was it YOUR opportunity he joined and that's why you're upset over his calling it a scam?
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby jcallahan on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:28 am

I think Melody hit the nail on the head. I've also been on both ends, having companies try to steal money away from me and having forgotten to do my part and losing money.

Another good idea is to run a company or opportunity by those here in the forum and seeing if anyone else has had any experience. I've done this several times in the past and have received some very good info, which has helped me avoid some scams.

HTH

Jen
jcallahan
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:05 am

I agree with what Mel said.

On the same note, "scam" is a word that gets thrown around a lot on the internet these days. People will call just about everything a scam, but half the time the truth is they just didn't understand that program or signed up for something without reading all the details to know what they were agreeing to.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Return to Getting Started