Does the thought of making lots of money make you Stupid?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Does the thought of making lots of money make you Stupid?

Postby soapin'Angela on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:29 pm

and I mean that with the most respect possible!

I just was thinking about this today and thinking back over the 'learning experiences' I've had over the last few years in business and most of them started by me listening to someone telling me I could make a LOT of money.

It seems that these people are just looking for people who are gullable to this and tell them how much they can make and how well they are doing.

Of course this is something I need to take complete responsibility for because I'm the one who blindly followed people because I ABSOLUTELY believed I was going to be exactly where they told me I could be following exactly what they told me.

I guess I was thinking about this because I was thinking if I had been a member of Mom Masterminds at the time (which I am now for almost a year) I would of had someone tell me to snap out of it and stop chasing down money by following what someone else is telling me to do because they can make lots of money off me...

Anyway, I guess this is a rant/warning - don't be fooled by talk of money, and success -- and PLEASE make sure you dont' spend money you dont' have with the thoughts you'll make it back when you've got that success you've been promised :)
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby soapin'Angela on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:33 pm

I have to add! You can absolutely be successful and make money online , so I hope that post doesn't sound like I"m saying it's not possible.

I now run a business that pays me first - I don't have to spend out a whole bunch of money before I make anything back and that just works really well for me. :)
soapin'Angela

Postby Mel on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:35 pm

I understand what you're trying to say and I do think the promise of earning lots of money makes people push aside their common sense. And I think there are people who prey on those folks just to get their money.

I was fooled before with promises of making big money or an easy income. But I finally came to the conclusion (which I already knew in the back of my mind) that you don't get something for nothing.

Yes, you can make money online... and good money too. However you will have to work for it and at least at first, it will be a lot of hard work to get going, to learn the ropes and how things work. Once you've done your homework and applied what you have learned, then it's not as hard but you still have to work at it.

Even the most successful people have to keep up with new & changing things. They have to apply and test them out to see what works for them, etc. Nothing is forever so without keeping up on stuff, especially with the internet, you'll be starting over in a few years.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Mila on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:51 pm

But I finally came to the conclusion (which I already knew in the back of my mind) that you don't get something for nothing.

So true. Anything that's worth while will take hard work and dedication. You can get to the point where it gets easier and you don't work as hard but to get there it WILL take hard work.

I really don't like when I hear people make it sound so easy... I don't believe you can make good money online without putting long hours and a lot of effort in, especially at the beginning. It is possible once you get the hang of it but it will take time, money and effort to get to that point.

That's one of my pet peeves marketers who try to make it sound like online business is a breeze. Of course, that's a clever marketing trick but still it gets to me.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby soapin'Angela on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:09 pm

But I finally came to the conclusion (which I already knew in the back of my mind) that you don't get something for nothing.

Ya but that's the thing I guess, when I got myself caught up in this type of thing I NEVER though it was money for nothing. I knew there was hard work and I worked really hard by following EXACTLY what people had told me would work and had worked for them.

That's one of my pet peeves marketers who try to make it sound like online business is a breeze. Of course, that's a clever marketing trick but still it gets to me.

You know, you're right. Even though there was hard work involved in the businesses I tried I guess they made it sound like I COULDN'T lose if I did them.

I'm not blaming anyone else because I alone am responsible for my decisions, and of course people need to build their business so they're not going to say 'Hey there is a good possibility you are not like me and can't do everything exactly as I did it and have the exact same success'.

I don't know where this rant came from, LOL....just something I had on my mind and I guess I'd just hate to see others fall into spending way too much because they are blinding believing in something that just might work, but might not --- like I did.
soapin'Angela

Postby Mila on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:57 pm

I think a lot of us have been there. I've bought products before that were a real let down. It's good to have a place where you can get recommendations that you trust.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 am

Yes that's so true. I'm glad you posted a list of the things you have used and recommend as a sticky on here - that's an awesome reference for others who are looking for more internet marketing education! :)
soapin'Angela

Postby Mara B on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Unfortunately, I'll bet everyone on here has fallen for that line of bull at least once in their lives. It's hard to admit, I've done it more than once. :( :oops: But, I now believe I'm at a place where I can make more informed decisions. And while I would love to make lots of money, I don't need what I've been sold before to do it. :)
Mara B

Postby tishialee on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:27 pm

I sort of became gullable when it came to direct sales (Mary Kay). I had used their products from the time I was a teen because my mom used them forever, I liked their products and all the hype I kept hearing was how easy it was to make money. One lady was telling me about how her & her husband just purchased a new house because of all the money she made selling Mary Kay.

I figured ok why not? I'm a people person, I use the product so it shouldn't be hard to sell. Forget common sense, it went totally down the drain. I put the $100 and something into it to purchase a starter kit & then before I knew it I was trying to get suckered into purchasing a whole lot of product (for a whole lot of money) because noone would buy from me if I didn't have the product on hand. (thankfully I didn't have any extra money to buy a whole lot of product!!!).

Well I may be a people person but I'm CERTAINLY NOT a sales person! I had a really hard time selling product even though I used it and liked it. And there were some other things I found out that weren't mentioned to me before I signed up.

So yeah needless to say I've been down the road of common sense lost before! Thank goodness I was one of the luckier ones and didn't lose lots of money!!!!!
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby soapin'Angela on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:22 pm

Well I may be a people person but I'm CERTAINLY NOT a sales person!

Oh yea, me too! I hate trying to sell stuff to people, so that was probably one of my big problems too, I was trying to fit myself into something that just didn't fit me.
soapin'Angela

Postby Mara B on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:37 pm

I sold Discovery Toys for a while. I thought, how hard could it be to sell toys? People either know kids or have kids, so surely it can't be that hard. In all the time I was a distributor, I think I sold $120 worth of product, I had two people in my sales team, and I still couldn't make it. I'm NOT a sales person. I doubt I ever will be, at least not for something like that.
Mara B

Re: Does the thought of making lots of money make you Stupid?

Postby cherie27 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:21 am

The thought won't make us stupid.
But the issue is the person who is selling the stuffs to us wasn't very honest about what are the things that are needed to do to make that much of money.
cherie27
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Khanum on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:21 am

I've recently come across business coach Jim Rohn's interesting phrase:
"If you don't design your own life plan? chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much..."

Indeed, everyone is closer to money making idea than he/she may think. In other words, I think we need just to hear our internal voice and follow it.
25 Year Old Work At Home Mom - My Ezine
Khanum

Postby ladyflguru on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 am

I wanted to add to this one. I completely agree. The worst thing in my eyes is for a company is to blatanly slop on their page that they can make you large sums of money with something that sounds way to easy.

We all may have an internal voice that says we should follow but some peoples inner voice may be naive and follow that "get rich quick" scheme. Not that im saying im not naive as i have fallen into a few of those schemes but i really think there should be something against claims like that. Maybe if there was something that said if you claim to have a way to get rich you have to provide clear cut proof and it has to be real. Maybe more people wouldnt loose their money, and in these times its something of a need to save money.
Need to Advertise? Go Noobing
http://www.noobing.com?sid=114
Check out my Blog
http://ladyflguru.blogspot.com
Noobing for the hearing imparied
http://www.youtube.com/user/deafnoobing
ladyflguru

Postby Marilyn on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:27 am

I find that the way to making money online is not to expect something for nothing. I never EVER pay money to be able to take part in an offer, and I generally won't apply if I don't at least reasonably understand how the company providing the offer to me makes their money.

It's important to be realistic.
A blog dedicated to supplementing your current income as easily as possible
http://moneyintenclicks.blogspot.com
Marilyn

Return to Getting Started