What's your most difficult challenge?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

What's your most difficult challenge?

Postby KarriLee on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:34 am

As a WAHM? How have you/are you overcoming it?

My biggest problem is staying focussed on one thing. Since i started affiliate marketing about 3 months ago, I have joined 5 different affiliate programs, all of which are awesome products that could be huge money-makers. I have done the research for each one, built the website, started squidoo lenses, written a few articles, developed quite a link swap campaign for one (which I have ranked #2 on msn for very highly competive keywords), etc. But then I come across a new product to promote and suddenly want to shift gears, or want to promote it a new way...

I've started making money, but know I could be making a lot more if I could stay focussed. So that's what I'm GOING to do.... :P
KarriLee
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: What's your most difficult challenge?

Postby BethinArkansas on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:04 am

KarriLee,
Focus is the Number One problem for Internet Marketers. I recently read an article by Gail Blanke titled "clear your clutter, Find Your life." A lot of the article was about clearing clutter in your home but it asked a question, "What do you want to do?"

We not only clutter our homes but our minds. It's way too easy to read sales pages about Internet products and services and jump in...and jump in...and jump in. Then, we have way too many products to promote and cannot do justice to any of them.

That's why it's best to research and explore a niche, the smaller the better, and become an expert in that segment. Promote products and services specific to that niche - whatever it is. Research...research...research and write...write...write about that niche.

For instance, we have one website that's been live for about five years now and has hundreds of pages of content. In the past 30 days, people have visited our site after typing in 1,049 different search terms in Google. We also get measurable traffic from Yahoo, MSN and AOL. Now - our focus should be on monetizing the top keyword searches in more ways.

Each keyword or keyword phrase used by searchers should become an article. Squidoo lenses, Hub Pages and other social networking efforts can be created about those searches and link to more authoritative articles on our site.

An old legend says that an admirer of Michelangelo asked how he had created the statue of David. Michelangelo said that David was always inside the marble; he just had to take away everything that was not David. That's a great way to think of niche marketing and staying in focus. Take away everything that doesn't apply right now.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 am

I think that's something we're all guilty of to some degree. I know I certainly am! Lately I've been doing much better at not buying into new programs to promote etc...
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 pm

The warmer the weather, the more distracted I get. I often wonder if I cut my work week down to 3 days if I'd get more accomplished each day (since I'd have tighter deadlines).
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:43 pm

They do say that out of the average 8 hour work day when you're working 5 days a week that only 1 or 2 hours per day are actually productive ones. So, in theory your 3 days a week idea would work :wink:
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby chris on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:40 am

refocusing I would have to say, some days I have to rearrange things to accommodate things that come up.
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 am

I may try going to a 4 day work week and see how it goes. I'd still have customer service stuff to do on day 5 but other than that, just plan all of my big tasks the other 4 days.

Chris - refocusing is hard for me too. If it's a short distraction, I can usually work through it and keep my focus, but if I have to stop for a period of time or worse, if I have to leave home to run an errand, my day is toast. I always try to schedule my appts for late afternoon because it's pointless to even try to come back and refocus.
Melody

Mel
General Manager

Postby BethinArkansas on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:07 am

Good point about the late afternoon stuff, Mel. I'm thinking of having a business "to do" list and a personal "to do" list. If I get distracted while writing and lose focus, then maybe I could put on a load of clothes or something.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 am

What Mel said about going out to run and errand and the day being toast is so true for me too! I have been trying to adjust to this new schedule of being with my MIL in the morning and then trying to get work done in the evening, and I am not adjusting well at all. I feel like a bit of a flaky failure at the moment. But, it's only been a week and a half, and I think next week we are going to try to do something differently.

She needs help in the mornings, getting up, getting breakfast, testing her blood sugar, etc.... but she won't stay with me at my house, so I have to go over there every morning Monday through Friday. I'm thinking of looking into hiring her an aide to come in and spend time with her a few days, then I'll go the other days. That way she gets someone's company other than mine! I'm sure she's sick of me by now -lol-
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby peeds007 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:23 am

Gettin an aide is a good idea .. but i hope u dont stop seeing her just becos u got her an aide... family always comes first ...
i work at night mostly -- lol.. and the next mornin i am totally asleep at my day job ..lol

take care
cheers
Peeds
peeds007

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 am

Like I said, the aide would just be for the times when I cannot be there, in addition to my sister in law and myself visiting her. If I can't be there personally I want to make sure she has someone to help her with her morning routine of testing her blood sugar and getting breakfast, etc.....
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:46 pm

I think getting an aide is a good idea. Even two days a week would help. In the long run, it would probably make everyone's experience better because you could focus on work certain days and not feel so scattered, and like you said, she wouldn't get tired of seeing the same face every day.
Melody

Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:15 pm

This probably sounds selfish, but I'm afraid she's going to get tired of seeing me and think I'm trying to police her every move. I'm trying to find things we can go do with her that will make her feel productive, useful, and needed. Like some volunteer work or something that she can get involved in.

Thinking of this thread today made me think of another challenge working from home. The refrigerator!!!! I don't know why, but I do tend to snack throughout the day. Just knowing that there are chicken wings and cheese sticks in my freezer right now makes me want to go toss them in the oven and take a break to get something to eat! LOL
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby linda1 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Glad it's not just me!
My worst is surfing emails and the net. I start out checking my emails before doing a blog or placing ads and then come across an interesting site for another product! Before I know it i've spent a couple of hours on the net!
I also work full time, my children are 13 and 17 so help me a lot but there's still chores to do. How do you organise yourself?
Any tips let me know!
Thanks
Linda
www.onlinehomebased.com
linda1

Postby Mel on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:06 am

Linda - I used to do this too except I was visiting message boards first thing and then getting sidetracked from there. What I do now is make myself do two tasks before I go to a message board. M-F, I handle my client's customer support and then pick another task that I have to complete that day. Only after those two things are done, do I allow myself to visit message boards. I also cut down on the # of boards I was visiting.

So for you, you might do your ads and blog stuff first, then check your mail. Also, if you have multiple email accounts, you might want to only check the most important ones and leave the others for later in the day or perhaps only check them a couple times a week.
Melody

Mel
General Manager

Return to Getting Started