How do you keep from feeling so overwhelmed at times?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

How do you keep from feeling so overwhelmed at times?

Postby suzeygal on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Besides being well organized and trying not to take on too large of a workload, what are some of the things you all do to keep from being overwhelmed? For me, being a single parent, working full time outside the home and part time from home, I sometimes find myself going in circles, even though I am well organized.

I generally don't let it get me down and always try to maintain a positive attitude, however, on certain occasions, I just have to kind of sit back and take a deep breath to keep from exploding.
Susan
suzeygal
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Postby lstric0602 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Well I used to be a single mom till I rescued my husband from his mothers house!! LOL he's very sheltered...hate to say it but he is...anyways I have to arrange everything. So, I've had to take care of everything...I'm teachin him things one thing at a time. What a great reason to work from home huh?
lstric0602
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Audrey on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 am

Susan,

I always take time for me. It might be lunch with a friend. It might be a walk with a friend. It might just be a cup of coffee with a friend. (yes I like hanging out with my friends). Probably twice a year, I take a full day, stay in my P.J.'s and do NOTHING, truly nothing. I turn on the t.v. hang out on the couch and truly veg....two days a year.

That me time is just so important to my overall well being.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby BethinArkansas on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 am

Taking time away from it. Plan time away from your work schedule. I workout three times a week (great stress reducer) and tan three times a week (better stress reducer because I can lie in the warmth imagining myself on a warm Caribbean beach). Occasional afternoons playing games with my grandson.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Re: How do you keep from feeling so overwhelmed at times?

Postby slf on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Susan,

Overwhelm feeds on itself...overwhelm leads to stress and inefficiency which lead to more overwhelm. It does feel like you're going in circles.

The only real solution is to stop...for an hour, a day, a weekend, a week. Sometimes all it takes is going for a walk and other times you really need a serious vacation.

In my experience, taking that down time is incredibly important. When I come back things that felt urgent get dumped because they really weren't that important...but you can't tell what's really important and what's not when you're in overwhelm.

I also find that solutions to problems come much more easily when I break the overwhelm cycle.

Hope that helps,

Susan
slf
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby peeds007 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:33 am

Meditate -- works wonders .. take a break go for walk/joggin and u will be fine and confident to take on the challenges that lie ahead
take care
peeds007

Postby MargieL on Sun May 31, 2009 9:48 am

I take an hour a day just for myself. It could be any time, I never set a schedule for this. I soak in tub, sit outside and read, take short walk, work on crafts, tend to my garden, or just have a cup of coffee. Find something that you can do for yourself after the kids go to bed (set bed time 7 days a week). Doesn't have to be every night, but it helps. Sleep will be so much better.
:wink:
MargieL

Postby chris on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm

The having "me time" works well for me, the days I don't get a few minutes just for me I feel a bit overwhelmed, LOL. I am not organized as some but my to do list also helps me from getting overwhelmed too...once I implemented that a few months ago helped a lot too!
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby jaygirl on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Make small achievable goals that l wil culminate into a big goal. Do this and your overall goal will be less overwhelming. Make sure you keep on track with your plans and beware false prophets as sometimes you can end up changing direction when you were actually on the right track.

Also make sure you have a break and give yourself time with your thoughts, I know this can be a tall order but if you can it will recharge your batteries no-end.
jaygirl

Postby Jenn79 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:54 am

When I am staring at the computer and am too fuzzy to do anything I know it is time to call it a day. I respect when I am worthless, which can happen quite frequently. If you know that you are too tired to work don't try, you will just waste your time. I tend to feel like I am going to fail during those times, so I find myself a nice trashy romance novel and try not to think about work. Often times a soiree in 1882 and a good nights sleep are all I need to restore my optimisim.
Want to take your online business to the next level?
I can show you how.
http://www.workathomemomnow.com
Jenn79

Return to Getting Started