Facebook Question

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Facebook Question

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:05 am

Has anyone tried PPC or PPM advertising with Facebook? Got results?
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Re: Facebook Question

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:49 pm

I just did a round of advertising with Facebook. I had a free $100 credit to advertise with them so I thought I'd give it a try. I used half to advertise a page I created within Facebook, and half to advertise an outside site. I split each of those into two campaigns (so I had 4 campaigns total) so that I could use different ad copy etc...

The clickthroughs for all the campaigns weren't really that great. The page I advertised within Facebook did get quite a new fans during the campaign, but other than that nothing big happened and the traffic from it was minimal for me.

Now, maybe my topic wasn't a good enough subject for facebook, I know I won't be depositing any money to try again any time soon though. The per impression goes by really FAST so make sure you set a daily spend limit so it doesn't rack up a huge bill for you.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby BethinArkansas on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks Loretta. Very good information.
BethinArkansas

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:17 pm

No problem. I did a little more testing to finish up my free credit since then, and got the same minimal results. There are definitely better ways to spend your advertising dollars.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby LaurieH on Thu May 14, 2009 3:16 pm

A colleague of mine was just telling me this week that her Facebook advertising proved to be ineffective. She's a seasoned advertiser and has used various mediums. Facebook didn't prove to be a winner ... for her anyway.
Laurie Hayes, Senior Manager
SendOutCards

Driving to a store to buy cards and stamps and a mailbox to send them? Send handwritten cards in less than a minute from any computer. Cards are PRINTED, STUFFED, STAMPED and MAILED for @$1.50 Discover why moms, seniors and professionals are turning to SendOutCards.

Send a free card at http://www.cardattraction.com The future of card sending is here!
LaurieH
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri May 15, 2009 2:19 pm

Good to hear different views on it, and sort of glad I'm not the only one that wasn't really impressed with the results at Facebook.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby babynursery on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:23 pm

I have considered trying it a few times too, but have heard the same types of things - that the conversion rate is very low because Facebook users are not looking to buy anything.
Searching for unique and modern baby nursery decoration?
babynursery

Postby jos635 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:12 pm

I am running back to school promos on Facebook, geared to Women/Moms 26-64 and I pay per click and haven't seen much traffic from it. ALso, tried Google ad-words and that ineffective for me as well.
Jayme Joslyn
jos635

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:49 am

Good feedback. So far, though, no one seems to have had any success with it. I'll try posting the same question on other forums and see what the responses are - and post them here.
BethinArkansas

Postby jaygirl on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:26 am

Thanks for that Loretta, I just feel the mindset of people who use Facebook is more social than transactional. Although it may change as the site matures.
jaygirl

Postby melodyt on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:32 pm

I've toyed with the idea of advertising on FB but haven't taken the plunge yet. Most people are on facebook for the social aspects, chatting with friends and family, playing games, sharing photos etc. so they aren't in the buying mindset.

The ad would need to really speak the language, be outrageous or interesting to catch the interest of your target market. I think you'd need to tightly define your target market and know their demographics.

Take care,
Melody
Melody Thacker, Independent Watkins Associate

Love Homemaking, Cooking with Just the Right Spice and living green with Watkins products!
melodyt
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby cosiegirl on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 pm

I was tempted to try advertising on FB when there were some free credits offered, but honestly I forgot about it. It's good to hear it's probably not worth the effort. I'm not surprised really as I don't think the setup is that conducive to advertising or maybe it's just the function. When I am on FB I don't even notice the ads.

That said, it sounds like advertising there might work for get followers of pages. That's good to know - thanks!
cosiegirl

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development