blog

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Re: blog

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Domain registration and hosting are two separate things. I like to keep mine from seperate providers, but that's a personal preference. I believe the IBM hosting is similar to GoDaddy's hosting and domain name services.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby ldmmanc on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Well , I think I am just going to give up now....because I am totally confused about the whole thing.
Maybe I will try to get someone to sit down with me at my computer ,and show me the whole process.
ldmmanc
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Aw, don't give up! Let's start at the beginning. Where exactly are you in the process and what do you need help with? We'll get you through it.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby lindastacy on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 am

Definitely do not give up. Much of the "technical" aspects of what you'll be doing (domains, hosting, blog script, etc) are much easier than they sound. It's one of those things... once you do it, it doesn't seem so bad.

As Loretta said, let's take this step-by-step, one step at a time. You can do it! If you have a friend that can set with you and help, all the better. But if not, we can help you.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby ldmmanc on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:09 pm

You are all so nice and understanding....
I did talk to someone .they said first I have to search a place like godaddy for a domain name.
Then, I need a host, but I can use godaddy to host , if I want to. Now...I saw on Internet based moms..somewhere that they host sites for 9.99 a year. Is that correct? Then she said, godaddy would help me set up the site,and choose good keywords.
ldmmanc

Postby Susanne on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Since about 4 months ago I was right where you are, I'll share what I've found, if I may:

I started with 1and1 hosting because someone told me it was great. It's also a huge company (like GoDaddy) so when you need help, your email to customer support is one of tens of thousands of similar requests. I had lots and lots of questions and the usual answer I got was a link to their FAQ section. I was totally confused and could not for the life of me figure out how to get a site up.

I switched to MomWebs, communicated with one person many, many times (the poor guy :shock: ) and was able to get my site up and running within a few days. You really will do best with a smaller host service which can provide personal customer support, like IBM's or Kelly's MomWebs.com. and then install Wordpress software on that (they may be able to do it for you) so you don't have to design your own webpages. You can have a site up and running in 3 days or less. The cost will be $9.99 a year to register and keep your domain name plus anywhere from $3.99 to $14.99 a month for the web hosting depending on which plan you choose.

GoDaddy is a little cheaper for the domain, a little more expensive on the monthly fee. I don't work for IBM's so I can't say for sure, but I don't think they have a hosting plan that's $9.99 a year.

You can go back to the internetbasedmoms.com home page and click on the link for getting started for an overview of the steps you need to take. I would suggest going through the keyword tracker websites I mentioned earlier and make sure you choose a domain name that matches a popular keyword. In my example about finding keywords from before, I found chili bean recipes was being searched for 8000 times a month. http://www.chilibeanrecipes.com is available as a domain name, I checked today using http://www.domaintools.com. If I wanted a recipe blog I would go with a topic lots of people are searching for. You'll get a lot more traffic that way. If you can find a domain name that relates to your key words like that, you'll have a huge advantage in the search engine results.

Sue
Susanne

Postby ldmmanc on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

I am sure I got it wrong,it probably was 9.99 a year to host, then a monthly fee for IBM. Is blogspot and wordpress totally free?
ldmmanc

Postby lindastacy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:51 am

I can't believe I didn't think of MomWebs before. Thank you Susanne for mentioning it. They have the perfect solution! They'll install a preloaded blog for you and they have a recipe blog! (It will have content already on it) Check it out
http://www.momwebs.com/wordpress-blog-installation/
The service is incredibly affordable and they provide great support.

You asked
ldmmanc wrote:Is blogspot and wordpress totally free?

You could start a blog on blogspot without spending any money, but it's not what I would recommend. I think you should at least get your own domain name. Godaddy.com and NameCheap.com are two good domain registry services. (Search google for GoDaddy coupons).

For WordPress you will need your own hosting (there is a free hosted WordPress service, but you can't use it for business; it's personal sites only). But you can find hosting for very little money. Again, MomWebs.com is a good choice for hosting, but if you can't afford that, there are less expensive alternatives.

I really hope you'll look into MomWebs blog installation. You can get started with them for $25 plus $10 for your domain name.

If you truly can't afford that, then I would suggest trying blogspot to start with the goal of transferring to your own site in the future.
~ Linda
lindastacy

Postby ldmmanc on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 pm

i looked at moms website, one of the questions asked was , if they could replace the material, the answer was no. I don't understand that. Does that mean that I have to leave other peoples receipes and other articles on there. Then they won't all be my recipes and info.
ldmmanc

Postby lindastacy on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:53 am

My understanding is that you can't change (edit or rewrite) the posts that are already there, but you can delete some of them if you want to. There are only a few preloaded posts to get you started. You will be adding your own posts regularly and making the blog your style and content.

Edited to add (from the momwebs site):
1. Can I change the articles? No we're sorry. The articles were provided by the owners of the recommended programs. You may not change the articles, but you may remove some if you'd like.

There is an audio you can listen to about the preloaded blogs (I haven't listened so I'm not sure what all is covered).
http://www.momwebs.com/seminar/

If you don't want the preloaded blog, you can get an "empty" blog installed for you.

You can also email support with your questions before you buy.

(By the way... I'm not associated with MomWebs, but I do know the owners and know that they provide only top quality products and services).
~ Linda
lindastacy

Postby ldmmanc on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:45 am

So..I want a site that I could put my own receipes,and others that I find in different places,like book etc. I would like to add some info such as tips and hint about cooking and maybe nutrition,links to other newsletters and such that I found that I like, maybe some businesses that i deal with. I am also a tastefully simple consultant,so maybe I would put my link on there too. Finally, I read that you can make money with a site,with some sort of ads,that would be nice maybe later on.
Is all that doable with a site?
ldmmanc

Postby StaciJansma on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:58 am

For what I have experienced so far... once you select the domain you want to use .. find a site to purchase your domain from which you could use InternetBasedMoms.com.

Than you want to purchase hosting so you will have complete control of what appears on your page which you could use InternetBasedMoms.com. Mainly this will reduce the ads placed on your site so there is less clicking and distractions. Sometimes you visit sites and you see ads at the top or bottom or inbetween. It has been advised to me when you are new you do not want distractions right now you want people to focus in on your site and your site only. Once you are comfortable and get a lot of traffic than you could venture into Goodle Adsense or something like that.

Than after you have your domain and selected hosting - you want to customize and build your site. I hope that helps.
StaciJansma

Postby ldmmanc on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks Staci.
ldmmanc

Postby LorettaOliver on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Pretty much the same, yes. Most hosting locations are extremely similar on the backend.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby KellyM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 am

You've been given a lot of helpful information here. Just wanted to leave you a link which I found helpful: http://www.4creatingawebsite.com/

You might try to sign up for a free blog with blogger.com, just to see what it might be like running a blog, before you spend any money on anything. Then if you like it, you can create your own domain and get hosting and all that.

Good luck!
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Previous

Return to Getting Started