1800 numbers

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

1800 numbers

Postby probiz on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 am

For those of you with websites that sell product do you pay for a 1800 #? Who do you go through? Is it worth it? Do you post your personal number? I have my own website selling products but don't have a phone number for contact just an email. I don't want to post my personal number and can not yet cover a 1800 # cost. Do you think this effects sales buy not having a phone number as a contact?
probiz
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: 1800 numbers

Postby Mel on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 am

The phone plan I have for my home gives me a second number for free. It's on the same line as my home phone, but has a distinctive ring. You might want to call your phone company and ask if they offer something similar.

If I didn't have that, I would not give out my home or cell phone #. Instead, I'd use an online service that offers voice mail and customize my message to say that I return calls during XXX hours, so leave a message and call back number.

There are lots of voice mail services available and many are pretty cheap. I also saw on another message board that Google will be offering a VM service for free pretty soon.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby lindastacy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:11 am

Check Skype; their prices are very reasonable for a regular phone number (I'm not sure if they offer 800 numbers).

I think having a phone number listed on a site gives people more peace of mind. I know it does for me. If I'm considering ordering for the first time, I much more likely to order if there's a contact phone number listed.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby awrighty on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Some hosting companies like hostgater will give you an 800 number for free. That's how I got mine. There's another company, called j2 messenger that has a fax program. You can sign up with them for free and get a free phone number that goes straight to voicemail which is emailed to you. It's not an 800 number though and you can't answer it without paying for it.
Cures for insomnia, a great luxury resort resource and my favourite Garmin handheld GPS units.
awrighty

Postby LaurieH on Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

There are some great resources here and I would highly encourage you to secure some kind of dedicated line for your business. I've had a toll-free number for years and it has made the difference between people who've called me as opposed to calling others.

A dedicated line (toll-free or not) makes your business appear more professional, established, and responsive to prospects and customers needs. It also provides a certain level of protection, keeping family separate from business.

Savvy shoppers are weary of sites that don't provide sufficient contact info.

Email can be set up one day, taken down the next. Also 30% of email doesn't get delivered and most people want answers now. If they have to wait to hear back, they'll click away from your site and look for another.

With a little bit of investigating, you'll find the perfect service for you.

Good luck!
Laurie Hayes, Senior Manager
SendOutCards

Driving to a store to buy cards and stamps and a mailbox to send them? Send handwritten cards in less than a minute from any computer. Cards are PRINTED, STUFFED, STAMPED and MAILED for @$1.50 Discover why moms, seniors and professionals are turning to SendOutCards.

Send a free card at http://www.cardattraction.com The future of card sending is here!
LaurieH

Postby melodyt on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 am

I'm also in favor of having a phone # posted on your site and a toll free # will encourage a lot more people to call you. My plan costs the same per minute as my long distance so it's not expensive. My number can be forwarded to my home, cell or any other # I choose so it follows me where ever I go! Customers and prospects love getting a real live person.

Good luck,
Melody
Melody Thacker, Independent Watkins Associate

Love Homemaking, Cooking with Just the Right Spice and living green with Watkins products!
melodyt
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby jayaitch on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:07 pm

My favorite 800# company (or 866 if you prefer) is Kall8.com I have never had a bill over $15 a month. The monthly fee is $2 a month plus so much a minute. I love it!!! Have used it almost 3 years.

Julia
jayaitch

Return to Getting Started