New with some questions

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Re: New with some questions

Postby Kit on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:53 am

Hey and welcome to the site. :)

I've seen quite a few pet sites which contain similar topics. I think it's do-able but structure is going to be one of the keys to the overall success. You will probably want to make the sections VERY clear to your readers.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby lindastacy on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:21 pm

I think it's a very competitive market so you might do better starting out with a more narrow topic. What's your area of expertise? Or what segment of the market do you think the other sites have neglected?
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby spookycc on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 am

rachel81805 wrote:Hi. I'm Rachel from Oregon. I've been researching building an online business and doing some research, and I came across this site. I currently work 40+ hours per week, and I'm looking to do something that can provide me more financial freedom.

Anyway what I'm thinking of is a dog website, which would include breeds, training, showing, etc. My real question is: Is this too much to include in one project. To me it seems that this stuff all goes together as one. Is this too broad a topic though?

Thanks for any information.

I agree with lindastacy. The dog thing has been overdone for awhile. Especially in these economic times, you might want to settle for one area of life with dogs that could SAVE people money, like tips on training, perhaps, or making natural dogg food and treats. Something they could do to help their dogs AND to save money.

We had a brick and mortar store in my hometown that was a pet bakery. When the economy started to slow down last year, this was the first store that went under. People truly do love their dogs, but they can't always afford to give them what they would like to give them.
spookycc
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby KellyM on Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 am

If you're knowledgeable on one specific breed, you might want to go in that direction. There are so many websites already out there that are focused on general dog stuff.

Look around, and try to do something nobody else is doing.
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Susanne on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:52 pm

You might try running some of your ideas through the google adwords keyword tool. https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal If you enter a search phrase, like dog training, into the keyword finder, the results will show you how many people are searching for that term and roughly how competitive the term is. You also want to think specific, as was already suggested. Instead of putting up a site about puppies, for example, put up a site about Puppies, Pekingese. There are several million people doing a search for the term "puppies", so there is a lot of business out there, but there are also 25 million sites. Conversely there are almost 30,000 monthly searches for the term " puppies, pekingese" but only a couple of thousand competing sites. Which really isn't as overwhelming as it seems. With a bit of SEO know how, you could rank on page one of Google for the more specific search term.
I wouldn't get too discouraged about the economy. People who love their pets, really really love their pets and will spoil them mercilessly to the point of going without themselves just so Fifi can have a new coat and matching booties. You might target a specific dog type and a specific demographic, like empty nesters. Kids are gone, puppy is their new "kid" and the disposable income is higher.

don't give up, keep researching!
Sue
Susanne
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Getting Started