getting wordpress as your home page

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

getting wordpress as your home page

Postby Susanne on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:46 am

Ladies, I am stuck. Website work is the hardest part of online business for me. I put wordpress on a friend's site. They are using GoDaddy. There is no cPanel and no Fantastico program. How do I get the wordpress index.php page to be the home page? Right now wordpress is in a wordpress folder in the main directory but only appears if I use the url name http://www.theirdomain.com/wordpress.
I tried moving index.php out of the wordpress folder and into the main directory, and that sort of worked. When I looked at the url all the text was there, but the theme and style sheet formatting were gone. So, I moved all the wordpress files out of the wordpress folder and into the main directory, but then I got an error page instead of the home page.

Any ideas?
Thank you
Susanne
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: getting wordpress as your home page

Postby Kit on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:56 am

This works if you follow the instructions to a T. ;)

http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordP ... _Directory

BTW, you don't need fantastico on GoDaddy because they have something similar but you will still need to COPY (not move) the files as described in the above tutorial.

In order to keep the root organized, you probably want to keep WP core files in their own folder as when installed.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Susanne on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Kit,
Thanks for the help. I'm not sure if it's because it is late and I've been on the computer a good part of the day or if I'm more clueless than I thought, but those instructions are really confusing. Step 2 mentions a "general" panel. I have never seen that.
Wordpress is already in it's own directory at the site I'm working on http://www.poleset.com/wordpress. I think I just need to start at step 8 and redirect the index.php.
I'll try it tomorrow when I'm fresh. I dug around a bit in the wordpress forum looking for answers, I guess I thought the codex stuff was really technical and beyond what I needed so I didn't look there.
thanks again for taking the time to find the link.
Sue
Susanne

Postby Kit on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 am

Actually doing a redirect for the index is not a good idea. If this is a new site, start over from the beginning and let the host install put it in the default wordpress folder. Then follow those directions and copy the htaccess and index from within the WP folder to the root dir. That should be about all there is to it.

Be very careful about putting files in places other than where WP says because this could cause a major security risk.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby lindastacy on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:12 am

Sue, I'm sure once you're rested and less frustrated you can figure it all out. Moving your WordPress installation requires some settings changes and maybe some file changes rather than just moving files around.

The "general" section referred to in the instructions Kit gave you can be found under the "settings" tab in your WordPress Admin Dashboard.

Follow the instructions in the link Kit gave you to leave most of the WordPress files in the directory they're in now and just move the index page to the root directory.

If you want to move all of the WordPress files to the root directory, use these instructions:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Susanne on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to forewarn me of where I might get myself into trouble. This is not even my own site I've been dealing with. In a separate post I mentioned helping someone else with a small graphics need and ending up creating two full sites for them. It's a long story, but I'm extricating myself from that situation. To make a long story short, I'm handing their site work back to them after giving them the name of a contact who will do up to 45 different web related services a month for $97.
Based on what you've told me, I'm pretty sure I could solve the problem but I'm learning the secret of outsourcing. ESPECIALLY when it isn't my site and I'm not getting paid for it!
Susanne

Postby lancehibner on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 am

WordPress allows you to select a different page as your home page, so that you can display more traditional content like information about yourself or your business. You can also create another page to use as your blog page, with a link to that page in your site navigation. Watch the video tutorial below to see how to do this.
lancehibner

Postby JeanLA on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:11 am

Wordpress can be set to have static homepage. You can easily set this by using the display.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development