Have you built/will build a site from scratch?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Have you built/will build a site from scratch?

Postby supersandyb on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:57 pm

Hello all, I have taken some courses in web design so I was able to build my own site. I have gotten some good marketing tips from this site and wanted to know if anyone else has any SEO tips or general marketing tips when building from the ground up. Thanks!
supersandyb
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Have you built/will build a site from scratch?

Postby Susanne on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:53 am

I see you've got a good list of keywords in your meta data. Have you used any of them in informational articles and posted in article directories? Here are some more ideas:
Do you have a squidoo lens?
Have you posted on other blogs using your url in your signature?
Do you have your own blog?
Have you posted to that using your keywords and submitted the post to Ping 0 matic?
What about submitting free press releases to press release directories?
Videos are very hot right now. How-to videos, posted to YouTube and given a keyword as a title, and a description that starts with your url followed by a good keyword rich description, ranks really well with Google.
Everything you post should be titled using a keyword, should have keywords in the body and your url in your signature.
How's that for a start?
Sue
Susanne

Postby lancehibner on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:12 am

It is possible for you to build a Website from scratch with minimal expense. Not only can you save money by building your own site, once you learn the skill you can earn money by building Websites for others. It's not difficult to do as long as you take your time and plan it properly. As with any other skill, the more you work at it, the better you'll be come at building Websites from scratch.
lancehibner

Postby dadeon on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:53 am

I don't think it's nearly as good an idea as it may have been 5 years ago. It just too much manual work to link in a hand-made website.

If you use Wordpress or Joomla as your CMS it not only creates a superb linking structure but it looks so much more professional and gives you all the flexibility of changing it all at the click of a button.

Apart from all that, the SEO advantages of a Wordpress site should be enough to make you forget about hand coding a site. :wink:
dadeon

Postby anniekatt on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi. Great advise and responses. I want to take a web design class so I can expand my site and learn that invaluable skill in order to build future sites. It also would afford the flexibility to update and keep the sites current through CMS options.

Cheers,

Annie
http://www.workathomesos.com
Directory of authentic no fee work from home jobs
anniekatt

Postby wealthwinners on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm probably going to get shot for sharing this, but using this free guide put my site on the first page of google for my MLM company (not the one in my sig).

If you have not already, get a gmail account. Sign up for their webmaster tools.

What better way to get information on how to property optimize than from Goog themselves!

Anyway, they have a guide to optimization that is free. Type in Google, "google optimization guide". It should be the first one and it is a .pdf. Save that puppy, you will be glad you did.

If you follow what they tell you, you will have properly set up your seo which makes Goog happy, and they will reward you.

Very important to follow those direction and not try to trick them.

By the way, I was on that first page, right under the actual company, and it was within 2 weeks of putting up the site. I had done no other advertising.

Good luck to you!

That will be $100. LOL. :roll:

Actually, come back in a few and let us know how it works for ya!
wealthwinners

Postby Susanne on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 pm

I would have to agree with dadeon about not bothering to build your own site. You can put Wordpress on a domain very easily and either use a free theme, buy one, or customize your own. It is so much easier than building a static html site. Unless that is what you want to do for a business, it is simply too much of a time drain away from your more profitable business pursuits. Any time you want to make a change you have to re-code parts of some or even all of your pages. You can even hire websupportteam.com to create a site for you for less than $100.
It's not a bad idea to have a basic understanding of how to build a site; sort of like knowing how to drive a car. You want to know enough to properly use the tool, but unless you plan on going into business as a mechanic, learning all the tiny details about building or fixing the tool is simply not the best use of your time.
Sue
Susanne

Postby JeanLA on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 am

I have built my blog from scratch. Of course with the help of my husband, I perfected it. There are many techniques and shortcuts that are working magically on my blog using wordpress. I think it the best blog platform of all.

You should always supply your site with the best unique articles. No matter if you write it yourself or aoutsource it. :D
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development