What about canned replies and messages?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

What about canned replies and messages?

Postby Kit on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:29 am

For a long time, I have known about "canned" replies, messages, and questions. The chances are high that you've seen them too. You may have received one in your email notifying you that your message was received. These sorts of canned replies are usually being used the correct way. However, many canned messages are not!

Canned messages are pre-written, broad/general messages that are often used to get a link back from your site. Sometimes they may be as simple as, "Cool post," or "Thanks for posting this." Notice how they are vague, can apply to any topic, and don't add value? That is because it was posted for the sole purpose of getting a link back.

This isn't just limited to comments. There are also canned questions. These are used to get a link back as well. Sometimes the questions may fit in with the topic on which they are posted. Often they seem to come out of left field. It's easier to identify this type.

Here is one test I use if I keep getting a bad feeling about a post. I use the search engines! If I put a phrase in quotes and can find it and the user in a bazillion places, especially from ask(dot)com and the like, then I know for sure what the poster's motive was. Can you say file-13? ;)

Recently I've seen some canned responses being included in plr and software packages. Personally, it makes me cringe because if I can't add something meaningful of my own, then I just don't need to post! However, I know that not everyone feels the same way and that's ok. It's just my personal preference.

Now, what do you think about canned replies in general? Would you use them if they were part of a product you purchased? Under what circumstances?
Kit
Admin Support

Re: What about canned replies and messages?

Postby KellyM on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks for posting this.

:lol:

Seriously, though: I wouldn't use them. They bring down the value of online communities and I wouldn't want to be a part of that, even if it means advertising for me.
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development