How many people are providing a real service?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

How many people are providing a real service?

Postby Susanne on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Before I ask this, please understand this is a sincere and earnest question, I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm just very cautious as I explore opportunities. As I look over various forums about work at home business, the preponderance of what I see appears to be people promoting "how to get started on line" products, in various forms. It reminds me vaguely of a pyramid scheme where everyone gets in with the goal of getting other people involved and we all go around and around promoting programs that teach each other how to get ever more people involved. No one ever actually produces a product or provides a service. We simply become affiliates promoting various systems that teach others how to become an affiliate so they, too, can promote a system that tells others how to become an affiliate so they can promote a system that.... and around and around it goes. Again, I'm not criticizing, I'm sort of like Alice in Wonderland wandering around not sure of what's going on around me, I may not be seeing the big picture. Please, those of you who are selling a real product or providing a VA service, please don't flame me, I'm not trying to offend. I'm only questioning what I see. I was burned big time by a MLM organization so I freely admit I'm a bit gun shy and skeptical. Any thoughts?
Sue
Susanne
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: How many people are providing a real service?

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Sue,

I understand that burned feeling very well. Been there before for sure!

It is hard to sort through everything sometimes, but IBM is a very open community. If you come across a particular opportunity you want to talk through and get opinions about, please don't be afraid to ask about it. You'll get a variety of opinions, the good with the bad.

I hope you're finding good information here at the boards. I'm not really sure what your question is or how to answer it better.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Kit on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am

As I look over various forums about work at home business, the preponderance of what I see appears to be people promoting "how to get started on line" products, in various forms. It reminds me vaguely of a pyramid scheme... I was burned big time by a MLM organization so I freely admit I'm a bit gun shy and skeptical. Any thoughts?

I totally understand. I'm among the many here who have been burned as well. "How to get started" products are hot, especially with the changes in the economy. More and more people are looking for a quick fix and there are loads of people and products which cater to them. The problem is...there is no quick fix and there is no product or ebook/ecourse that has all the answers or will do everything for you.

Operating a profitable (and ethical) online business all boils down to the same thing as having/keeping a regular job...hard work and learning/applying the skills. Now, having said that, when you are trying to break into online business, you have to learn from someone. So it's to your benefit to find a mentor in your chosen field. Then you research, research, and research some more before you start throwing money into every how-to opportunity, hoping something will work out.

Woops! Looks like you hit a sore spot with me too. lol

To sum up my rant...You do have to be careful and know how to tell which products are right for you and which products/people are just in it for the money. ;)
Kit
Admin Support

Postby koreakids on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Sue,

I know you'll hear back from plenty of people who do provide legitimate services and not simply the endless circles. I'm excited about what I do from home so if it's ok, I'll explain about the service I provide...since you asked! :D

My home-based business is with AmeriPlan. It's a discount dental and medical benefits company. We offer discount programs for dental, vision, chiropractic, medical, legal aid, identity theft protection, auto club and a 24 hour nurseline. Basically the plans are not insurance but are discount plans.

What I do from home is market the plans (full training for that) and then once my phone is ringing or emails are coming in, I tell people the details about the plans and if it makes sense for their families, I enroll them on-line and earn 30% commissions for each application I process, and I'm paid month after month for the same application. I also train other people to work successfully from home.

So that's pretty much it. As I put in my signature, I absolutely LOVE what I do from home!

Amy
Executive Sales Director with AmeriPlan
Serene, Caley & Elisha's mom works from home - you can too!! Request an interview today! http://www.myhomecareer.org
koreakids

Postby Susanne on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:24 am

Amy,
Thanks so much for your post. It is so easy to have a very limited view of the online world when you're looking around in only one place. It's really nice to hear from someone who's successfully running what I would call a "real" business from home. Your insurance service sounds awesome. How do you promote it? I'm not what you'd call a people person so I'm looking for a business that isn't exclusively customer service related, but no matter what the business is, many of the promotional methods are the same.
Sue
Susanne

Postby Mel on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:46 pm

There are many business opportunities available these days. One thing to keep in mind is not to join one just because someone else has been successful with it, but to first try to determine what YOU want to do. Make a list of things you enjoy doing, things you could see yourself doing on a daily basis. THEN look at the different home-based product & service businesses related to that.

I've been scammed my share of times too but a few times, it was totally 100% my own fault. I saw that other people were saying they did so well with XXX and so I figured I could too. Only after I got started, forked out money and a heck of a lot of time, did I determine that either A) I hated what I did or B) I didn't believe in the product/service enough to really market it well. So I ended up quitting and looking for something else.

No matter what business you start, you will have to market it or the sales won't come in. I'm not much of a people person either, but I've learned how to market my services (I'm a Virtual Assistant).

Ways to market your business could be by networking both online and off line, by using press releases and articles, by meeting others through social networking sites like twitter, facebook, etc. You can buy advertisements, hand out business cards and flyers around town, send post cards to your community (depending on what you sell and who you're selling to), etc.... there are many ways to market your business both online and off.

If you go to IBMoms homepage http://www.internetbasedmoms.com/
In the left sidebar, under the heading "Getting Started", you'll find links that will take you to loads of information on various businesses, ways to market and more.

.... and as Loretta mentioned, if you find something you think you might be interested in, but still have questions, feel free to ask. Chances are, even if we haven't had personal dealings with a particular company or type of service, we know someone who has so we can share our thoughts with you.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby BethinArkansas on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:20 am

Hey Susanne,
We like to think the books we've written and our brain injury information websites provide a real service, and the response we've received from people seems to prove that.

The success of those sites and products has taught us a lot about search engine optimization, article marketing, social marketing, etc. which is valuable information for any online business. Knowing someone who has a great product that teaches those things and promoting their product is a real service.

Millions of people seek additional income online and, like anything else in life, what works for Amy may not work for April. I believe the high failure rate is not as dependent on what is being promoted as in how it's being promoted.

I will join with others who have commented about being burned but I'm not totally convinced that I didn't strike the match. You must believe in your product and you must promote it as such. One big problem is so many people promoting products or services they've never used.

There are plenty of marketable products and services. The reason affiliate marketing programs are so heavily promoted is because about a million people each year decide to learn about the business. Add several million others who have been "burned" but are willing to take another shot at it, and you've got a large group of people seeking information.

I personally believe virtual assistants will be a service category that will continue to grow and grow. But we all have to compete with 8 people living in a one-room apartment in another part of the world who can live on $2.00 for an article. And we've got quite a few VA's on this site whose future, I believe, is bright.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Return to Getting Started