Do you enjoy cooking and baking?

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Do you enjoy cooking and baking?

Postby ravish30 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:27 pm

When it comes to cooking...do you cook from recipes in your head or do you open up a cookbook?

Do you like to cook? bake?

Do you like to can?

Do you like to cook and bake from scratch or do you enjoy prepackaged foods?

If you spend the day/evening cooking a big meal, are you also the person who does the cleanup?
ravish30
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Re: Do you enjoy cooking and baking?

Postby KellyM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 am

I prefer cooking to baking. I cook from recipes about half the time, although I rarely measure anything.

I've never canned, but it's something I'd be interested in doing when I have a bigger kitchen and storage space.

I prefer to cook from scratch, but prepackaged foods end up in there too often.

I'm the one cleaning up probably about half the time after I cook.
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 am

I much prefer baking over cooking. If I could get a decent garden to grow, I would can a lot of stuff, but we can't even get weeds to grow good in our soil, much less anything else. :?

DH is great at making new dishes on the fly with whatever he has handy but I prefer to start with an idea from a recipe and then change up the ingredients or the way I cook it.

Each person in our family has set days they do dishes, cook, etc and it's scheduled where nobody has to clean up on a night they cook. If the kids are gone and it's just DH and I, we either brown bag it with a sandwich or a salad or we grab take-out.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby ravish30 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:47 am

I love all 3 but if I had to choose, I would choose baking as my favorite.

I do use recipes but I also make up my own as I go along :) I rarely use boxed meals or prepackaged side dishes, I just like cooking & baking from scratch (most of the time).

I do can...enjoy it!
ravish30
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:44 pm

I swear I replied last night. I think the board got hungry and ate my reply. I love to bake and I hate to cook. Baking requires measurements and things that make sense to me.... cooking is just well, not for me!

My hubby does most of the cooking. He's much better at it. My 8 year old lovvvvvves to cook, he wants to be a chef at Disney World when grows up. He loves to try foods and watches Food Network almost as much as he watches cartoons (maybe even more!) He actually well set the DVR to record certain episodes for him... and I'm pretty sure he has a crush on Rachael Ray!
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby beccad80 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Honestly, I enjoy cooking but can't stand baking. I think it's because with cooking, there is a lot of room for creativity (such as changing, adding or subtracting ingredients, etc.), but with baking it's somewhat of an exact science. If you deviate from the recipe, your dish could come out as a disaster. Not so much with regular cooking.
beccad80
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby supersandyb on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:56 pm

I always feel this amazing sense of satisfaction when I make things from scratch. I started making wheat bread from scratch not too long ago and I love it. It's sooooo much better than the prepackaged stuff. you guys should also try making english muffins from scratch. Oh my God! You'll never buy those things in the orange package again! :)
supersandyb
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Home and Family