Niche ideas

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Niche ideas

Postby msamber77 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Hello! I am new to Internet Based Moms, and am very excited to get started! However, I'm having a hard time deciding on my niche topic. I have some ideas/passions, but don't know how to incorporate them to use them for my online business. I LOVE weddings....everything about them: from planning every aspect of them, to simply the idea of them. So there's one idea. I have twin girls, so i was thinking i could somehow use that for another website idea....yet i have no idea how to make these ideas work! Help! :D

Thanks much, Amber
msamber77
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Niche ideas

Postby Epiphany on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:00 am

Hi Amber, I would recommend you take your niche ideas (weddings and twins) and drill them down. For example, think about what you like about weddings and do some research on that. Wedding planning? Wedding favors? Wedding dresses? Most likely, those would be more easily targeted than the broad niche of weddings in general.

Then, take those ideas and do some research by using a keyword tool to see what associated keywords are being searched for. This will help you determine the demand in that niche market. You can use a tool like Google Adwords keyword tool for free. You want to look for keyword phrases in your niche that have a sufficient number of searches. That "right" number of searches is different for every marketer, but I like to shoot for at least 1,000 searches per month.

Then, take the keyword you're researching and assess the competition. You can do this the quickie way by typing your keyword into Google and putting it in quotes, like this: "keyword" In the mid-upper right area of the search engine results you'll see a number that indicates the number of results for that keyword. This gives you a general idea of the number of competing websites for this keyword. Again, the "right" number is different for everyone but I usually try to target keywords in my niche with less than 100,000 results (anything less than 50,000 is generally much easier to target).

Once you've got a keyword (or a few) that have a good number of searches and low competition, then determine how to monetize your site. You can use Google Adsense or, my favorite, affiliate programs. To see if there are affiliate programs for your niche, just type this in Google: your niche "affiliate program" Once you've decided how you want to monetize, then get going on setting up your site. I personally prefer Wordpress powered sites (Wordpress isn't just for blogs!) because they're flexible, easy to work with, and they're already very SEO friendly. You can buy a domain for less than $10 and get a site setup in less 24 hours with Wordpress!

Now, I've given you a simplified strategy for doing niche research (assessing the competition is more accurate if you get a little more involved in researching the sites that rank in the top 10). However, I'm hoping it helps to get you started. Good luck! Whatever niche you choose, remember nothing happens unless you take action!
Epiphany

Postby Susanne on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Right on! Great advice. The free keyword tool is a good starting place and you can't beat free!
What did you have in mind for a product? In my opinion, information products (ebooks, special reports, videos) are a great way to go if you don't have a retail product in mind. Another thought is to do a Google search for "wedding forums" where you will find brides-to-be asking all the questions they have. You can spend a lot of time in those forums uncovering just what it is people are needing the most help with and creating an information product to meet that need.
Remember to think specific. You'll do best in a very targeted niche like wedding favors or weddings for a certain ethnic group or antique lace gowns, rather than trying to compete with the big guys who provide anything and everything needed for any wedding.

Good Luck and let us know how it's going!
Sue
Susanne

Postby msamber77 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:01 am

Thank you to both Epiphany and Susanne, for the great ideas!! I will definately look into your ideas and hopefully get this figured out! :)
~Amber~
msamber77

Postby JeanLA on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:26 am

You can browse dmoz.org and dig in to the subniches of the main category and you can have targeted microniche in which sometimes no other affiliates are promoting. :D
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Getting Started