using video on your site

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

using video on your site

Postby Susanne on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Do you have videos on your site? Do you store them on your host server or do you use something else? I'm trying to decide if it would make more sense to store videos on Amazon Web Service S3 server or pay for the bandwidth and storage to keep them on my own host server. I'm creating a how-to library of videos teaching people basic computer and web business skills (how to use FTP, how to set up a shopping cart, etc) so I will have a LOT of video content. This will be a paid subscription site so I don't want to put them on YouTube where people can see them for free and I don't necessarily think having the YouTube logo on the bottom of the videos is going to help the professional image I want.
Does anyone have any experience here? I'm concerned about cost of paying for bandwidth from AWS vs the cost of the storage and bandwidth on my own site.

Thanks
Sue
Susanne
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: using video on your site

Postby Mel on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Kit and I host videos in our VA training site. I host with HostGator which offers unlimited bandwidth. I use their business package which is about $15 a month (cheaper if you pay annually) but they have smaller packages that you could start with and then upgrade as needed.

I've never used AWS so I can't really compare the two.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Susanne on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for that input, Mel. I guess the next step is to check with my hosting company about bandwidth limits. AWS, combined with EZs3 as the interface, makes it really easy to create a video viewer for your site. No coding required. That's why I was attracted to it. As I said, my concern with them is if several hundred people view videos in a month, I'm not sure what the cost to me would be. It's a fairly new service from Amazon and I don't think it has been widely used yet outside the super geek IT people (no offense to any IT folks, I consider myself a propeller head, too)
Susanne

Postby JeanLA on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:33 am

The best thing I have done using videos on my site is by submitting it to youtube as a video response. The titles should be catchy and making it sure that the thumbnails are also great looking. Posting it as a video response to high traffic related video can give it much traffic. Be sure you are the first or second giving a video response to a high traffic video.

After I have submitted it to youtube, I copied the embed code at the right side of the video, choose the right color for the sides and embed the html code on my site.

Hope this helps.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Postby JeanLA on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Using keywords in the title and the description of the video can also give it a good rank in Google.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development