To Twitter or Not To Twitter - That is the question

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

To Twitter or Not To Twitter - That is the question

Postby jaygirl on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:37 pm

I have honestly missed the point with Twitter, unless your business is selling info products or something to tech savvy clients I think having a load of followers means nothing.
jaygirl
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: To Twitter or Not To Twitter - That is the question

Postby Kit on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:31 pm

You're not alone. A lot of people don't understand how Twitter followers can translate into money in your pocket. It's supposed to work something like this:

people follow you on twitter (prospects) --> join your newsletter -->buy your products

From a marketing aspect, Twitter is a way to keep in touch with your current customers, find potential customers, and best of all...drive traffic to your site.

Since you are driving traffic to your site, you don't have to have a digital product; however, digital items that promote your products may encourage purchases. ;)
Kit
Admin Support

Postby jaygirl on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 am

I am in the online international real estate business and most of the clients I have have no idea what Twitter is.

I can see how it could be useful for building a list for non physical products though. Do you see a way for me to use it successfully in sector?
jaygirl

Postby Kit on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:46 am

Although I don't know a lot about international real estate, I do know that you could write reports, articles, ebooks, etc. about things such as:

• What to look for when buying real estate in certain areas/countries.
  • How to remodel buildings/houses.
  • Choosing a style for interior design based on the property's use.
  • How to find the right realtor.
  • Top 10 Mistakes of New Home Buyers
  • and the list goes on.

These items could either be sold or given away for other people to share with their readers. Remember, Twitter can be used for building relationships with your peers and people who will help promote your business. It's not just for finding clients. ;)

If you didn't want to create reports etc., you could also twitter about tips for buying or selling real estate and redirect people to the info you have on your sites.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby busymomma on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 pm

I post tweets about new products I'm an affiliate for, blog posts, new advertising options on my sites. Just tons I send out. But not every marketing avenue is for all. Twitter can take a lot of work and pull you away from projects you'd rather spend time on. Especially if you have to work at it and it doesn't come natural for you.
Val

Easy WAHM Websites
Pre-made websites, virtual assistance, blog management.

Busy Momma Wellness
Make you a priority!
busymomma

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:45 am

Like any other social media site, it means becoming a member of the community. If someone we follow does nothing but post marketing links, we usually block them, especially those who post 5 or more such links every day.

We usually promote blog articles or site articles. It may simply be a humorous article with Google Adsense inserted. Or, it may be a more serious article.

We do retweet posts from others that we find helpful.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Susanne on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Do you find your tweets get read? I would think if someone is following even as few as 20-30 others, their twitter home page would be so full that any one individual message would get lost in the crowd. A great deal of the people who follow me, expecting me to follow them back, are spamming (is that the right word in the twittersphere?) with nothing but constant sales promotions in their tweets. Maybe I'm not hooked up with the right people :D
I guess if you have a lot of friends that are on twitter, or your target market is very internet savvy, it might be useful.
Susanne

Postby busymomma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 pm

I only follow (on my big account) those that I interact with or who I know off of twitter as well. I usually use twhirl instead of the site itself. I do not automatically follow from the main account, but I do followback on my other accounts if the account looks like it's not a spammer.

I follow along pretty well with most people. And I get quite a few replies to tweets and also those #followfriday loves. lol So I figure some are reading ;)
Val

Easy WAHM Websites
Pre-made websites, virtual assistance, blog management.

Busy Momma Wellness
Make you a priority!
busymomma

Postby jaygirl on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:50 am

Thanks Kit, there are some useful things there that will help. I guess providing information that your target market wants to know about (sound obvious when I put it like that) will help considerably.
jaygirl

Postby lancehibner on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 am

Twitter is extremely distracting. It can chew up time like a rottweiler-piranha hybrid. And, despite that, can still be boring. Yes, there is the risk dodgy information will be posted. There's also the possibility the tweeting will outshine the establishment they work for.
lancehibner

Postby KatrinaManning on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:30 pm

I think it's just a quick way to advertise your business. It seems to be growing in popularity daily. I'm sure there's a benefit to using it as another form of advertising / marketing.

Hope that helps,

Katrina
KatrinaManning

Postby KellyJ on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:27 pm

I encountered the same problem before with Twitter - really had no idea how on earth people can make money using it. But the advice and information shared by most member here really help a lot.

Maybe the rule simple - use TWitter only when you know how to appropriately use it. Otherwise, find something you know how to utilize better.
Explode Your Business Using Twitter.
Learn how to get 1000s of Twitter followers in just 7 days
and watch your sales explode.
http://www.twittermoneytree.biz
KellyJ

Postby JeanLA on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:52 am

There are lots of affiliate programs and sites that are promoting things solely on twitter. You can also freely place your affiliate redirection link in you tweets.

I have used revtwt.com for my affiliate programs on twitter.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Postby chris on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 am

Although I don't get a huge amount of sales from twitter, I have made some great contacts and even more so connections with people I now consider friends. I do get blog reads especially on my wahm & personal blogs.

I also build my followers slowly...who ever else finds me and follows me is on them LOL
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby JeanLA on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:39 pm

There's only a small percentage of people you follow will follow back but if you got a good affiliate product to promote inthere, you can have sales. :)
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development