overwhelmed by blog spam

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

overwhelmed by blog spam

Postby Susanne on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 am

I have the akismet plug in on my blog yet I am still getting 30+ spam comments a day. Does anyone have any other ideas to stop it? I do have it set up so all comments must be moderated before they show up, do you suppose that is over-riding akismet and just allowing all comments through to the "waiting to be moderated" category?

I really can't say this is the cause, but: I just hired a tech support company to do some work on my blog and this problem started the day after I gave them my log in information. The four months prior to that I had exactly 3 spam comments. Maybe it's just coincidence because my blog has also had more updates and new posts during that time.

In the over all scheme of things this is not a huge deal, it's just annoying. I went away on vacation last week and came back to almost 200 spam comments that had to be cleaned up.
Thanks for your suggestions
Sue
Susanne
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: overwhelmed by blog spam

Postby Kit on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 am

Is akismet catching most of these and sending them to the moderate area? What I'm getting at is are you concerned because akismet isn't doing its job or because there is so much more spam now than before?

I have all of my sites set to moderate all so that shouldn't be a problem. You just set it to auto delete after x amount of time. It also helps if you set up some key spam words to make sure things get flagged as spam and sent to the moderate section.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby busymomma on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 am

I use spam karma plug in on all my blogs and sites and it is a wonder. It doesn't post anything to my sites that doesn't fit in with what I say. I believe I have most of them set to not post anything with a link in it at all. I've only had 1 or 2 spam posts go through. Yes I have 100's of spams, but they are all in a spam folder just like my email.
Val

Easy WAHM Websites
Pre-made websites, virtual assistance, blog management.

Busy Momma Wellness
Make you a priority!
busymomma

Postby lindastacy on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:55 am

Given that it just started happening after someone worked on your blog I'd first find out if they changed any settings that might have made the difference.

If they didn't change any settings, try adding the plugin, "Bad Behavior." It stops the spambots which is likely the source of most of your spam.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Susanne on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 pm

I guess my expectation was that by using a spam blocker, the spam would just disappear somehow so I don't have to deal with it. Instead it sits in the folder in Wordpress for comments awaiting moderation. I thought they would go right to the spam folder. According to akismet, it caught almost 300 spam comments. I moderated out almost that many. So I'm not sure what spam akismet stats is referring to. I guess I'll have to bone up on how akismet actually works. :D Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are great.
Susanne

Postby lancehibner on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:09 am

Very enthusiastic and motivational. I find this post very good, and I will definately reference it for future readings aswell. I will also digg this, for the convenience of having other people finding a useful article on businesses of your kind.
lancehibner

Postby JeanLA on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:37 am

I use captcha comments plugin for my blog. This filters bots from humans, bots and software can't read captcha so you are sure you have a human-generated comment.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Postby bizdev on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:18 pm

JeanLA wrote:I use captcha comments plugin for my blog. This filters bots from humans, bots and software can't read captcha so you are sure you have a human-generated comment.

I was getting so much spam to my blog, even after installing the Askimet plug in, that my host company was ready to shut me down. But after installing the captcha plug in all the spam stopped immediately. I do however think it stops some readers from commenting because they have to stop and enter the scrammbled words.
Sylvia
http://preneuraholics.com
New Funding Source for Entrepreneurs
Peer to Peer GIVING
bizdev

Postby Susanne on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:05 pm

As much as I'd like to see one clear and easy answer to the problem, it really is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils - lose comments because people have to fill in the captcha letters, or lose your blog due to the amount of spam. I hope readers will eventually come to understand the necessity of the captcha box and not be deterred by it.
Susanne

Postby bizdev on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Oh, I think people are getting used to routinely having to unscrabble the letters. It used to annoy me to no end, but now I get why it's necessary.
Sylvia
http://preneuraholics.com
New Funding Source for Entrepreneurs
Peer to Peer GIVING
bizdev

Postby JeanLA on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Nice to hear that you got a solution for the spam comments on your blog.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development