Are you using your college degree?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Are you using your college degree?

Postby Mara B on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:45 pm

I have a BA in English with the hopes of becoming the Chicago Sun Times editor. That dream didn't come to pass, but I plan on using those skills learned more in the near future.

Do you use the skills you learned for your college degree, if you have one, for the job you're doing now?
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Kit on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:54 am

Yep, Mara. I have a BS and yes I can. ;) Um I do use my skills in my buisiness. I loved teaching young children and have over 12 years of experience along with the degree.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't use my knowledge about children/teaching for a while but I found a way to incorporate what I know into my current undertaking.

Lace
Kit
Admin Support

Postby soapin'Angela on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:29 pm

I have a diploma in Chemical Engineering Technology - Environmental but I don't use it all in anything I do now.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby basbds on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:46 am

Hi Mara,

I have a BS in Educ and a MEd in Curriculum and am in the (very long process) of getting a PhD in Government (as opposed to Political Science).

Both Brenda, my wife, and I have used our teaching degrees and experience extensively in our home business. So much of what we do involves teaching others and scaffolding their learning so as to have success at each step and to not overwhelm them with information - just like in a classroom full of kids! :D

Some of my PhD program has come in handy in that I've studied - in minute detail - economic systems and their motivating factors. Amusingly, some of that has helped me when writing up ads! :lol:

A great question! :D "What IS the value of higher education in REAL life?" would be a closely related one! :P

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Alice Seba on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:52 pm

I have a BA in History/Archaeology and although I don't use the knowledge, I definitely use the research and writing skills I developed.

I recently read an interesting stat that a large % of home business owners are college graduates. Here it is on Kristie T's website:

http://www.kristiet.com/home-biz-fact-sheet.htm

Alice
Alice Seba
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby sara08852 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:42 pm

I have a MS in Statistics but do not use it now. Hopefully I will when my daughter will be in school -- in a few years-- unless you guys need stat consulting for your business...
I make quality custom crib bedding at low prices.
My work is featured on Squidoo.
sara08852
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:00 pm

The information on Kristie T's website was amazing, There's so much there, I'll have to go back and read it more in depth. I think I'm going to have to start a new favorites folder. :lol:
Mara B

Postby soapin'Angela on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm

I recently read an interesting stat that a large % of home business owners are college graduates. Here it is on Kristie T's website:

http://www.kristiet.com/home-biz-fact-sheet.htm

How interesting!

I wonder how many people went for post-secondary education knowing they would eventually be self-employed. I was always told I was going to University and it was basically what I thought I had to do and then go out and get a good job. But I decided not to, lol.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby ebay_addict on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:54 pm

hmmm haven't used mine yet. I'm just 23 and getting my bachelor of science in biology and chemistry next year. I'm not going to use it. I have an online business so my degree is only a backup. :D
My Online Income System- Step-by-Step instructions on how to make money online
ebay_addict

Postby Mara B on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:31 pm

Was there a particular reason why you chose the degrees you have, if you knew you weren't planning on using them as a means of support? I find it interesting that you're not going into medicine or something like that.
Mara B

Postby sti1990 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks for a great question, Mara!

I have a BS in Advertising but realized in Dec of my senior year I didn't want to be in advertising! For the first 6 years out of school I worked in magazine publishing and advertising production but right now I'm using my writing skills more than anything else.
sti1990
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Alice Seba on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Mara B wrote:The information on Kristie T's website was amazing, There's so much there, I'll have to go back and read it more in depth. I think I'm going to have to start a new favorites folder. :lol:

I went to university because in high school if you got good grades, that's what you were supposed to do. I started by wanting to be a teacher or possibly a lawyer and thus, the History degree. Part way through, I got some crazy notion I wanted to be an Archaeologist & be dirt poor (pun intended on playing in the dirt! ha ha) and thus, the Archaeology degree. I think at 18, most of us were just too young and inexperienced to know what we really wanted to do with our lives.

Alice
Alice Seba
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Mara B on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Alice Seba wrote:I think at 18, most of us were just too young and inexperienced to know what we really wanted to do with our lives.

Alice

I think you're right, Alice. At that age, how are we SUPPOSED to know what we want to be when we grow up? I'm thinking that the old idea of spending a year abroad before starting college is a good idea. I think you'd be more prepared to make the types of decisions that will ultimately affect your whole life.
Mara B

Postby midwestmedia on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:07 am

I have a BA in Political Science, but I didn't complete it right after high school. I started college right after HS, but took a few years off to be self-employed but went back to finish it several years later. I decided that I didn't want it to be unfinished, so in 2001 I went back and graduated a few years later.

So I guess I did things a bit opposite....I was a student, then self-employed and then a student again. I think what is more important about the subject matter is the act of being a student and learning how to learn, to write and to express opinions. Those are the benefits I've personally seen from finishing my degree. That's not to say that you can't do those things without a degree, but I noticed that once I was back in school a whole new world opened up for me.

I work on the side for a non-profit organization, and I plan to go back for my Masters in Public Affairs after my husband and I have two school aged kids. I love school...everything about it! It's very hard to not be in school right now because I love the process.

Jen
midwestmedia

Postby Nell Taliercio on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:07 am

I don't have a college degree, but I STRONGLY suspect I would not be doing what I majored in had I gone. At that age I had no idea about online businesses, the types, what would interest me...etc.
Nell Taliercio
Legit Jobs From Home
http://www.justonlinejobs.com
Nell Taliercio

Next

Return to Getting Started