Mailing List Question

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Mailing List Question

Postby tishialee on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:27 am

For anyone that has a mailing list that you send regular content to such as an ezine how did you come up with ideas of things you wanted to talk about?

Like I've always wanted to build a mailing list but I struggle with what I would talk about. I don't have an info products or anything like that to offer so I guess what content would I share?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mara B on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:37 pm

Would you necessarily have to focus on one particular topic? I would think you could share information that would be beneficial to anyone who uses your services - new spam filters, software updates, etc.
Mara B

Postby lindastacy on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:49 pm

What's the purpose of the mailing list? Who will you be mailing to and why?
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby kamckinley on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:54 pm

One of the best resources I've found to find topics to write about (whether it's for my blog, articles, or for a newsletter) is forums.

Go to forums where your clients and potential clients hang out and find out what they're talking about, and even more importantly, what their questions are.

Another good source is Yahoo! Answers and similar question & answer sites. I've gotten some great topics from Yahoo! Answers, so I visit there often.

Hope this helps!
kamckinley
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby tishialee on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Yes it helps, thanks.

I still will just keep tossing the idea around in my head and not end up doing it - I've been thinking about a mailing list/newsletter for a really long time and I still haven't done it.

Maybe I'm going through a lack of confidence stage again :roll:
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Postby Alice Seba on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Who is your target market, Tishia? That's where you begin and decide what to deliver to them.

I think Linda was trying to get you to answer that question too! :D
Alice Seba
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Mila on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:36 pm

Would it be for your VA site? If it's for potential clients you can provide outsourcing tips, time management tips, etc. You can set up a simple message system with a few tips and even promote products that may help them be more efficient in their business, and of course your VA services too.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby BookBizMom on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:42 pm

I always include Customer Specials, Sign Up Specials, Hostess Specials and any fun new facts about the company.

Sometimes I'll include a little article about reading to kids or something of that nature...
BookBizMom
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby tishialee on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:50 am

My target market is work at home moms, at least that's who I'm always working for so I guess I would call them my target market.

I was thinking along the lines of wanting to provide information that would help people understand what a VA and outsourcing can do for their business, etc.

I also am in the process of getting my podcast back up and running and relaunching it so I'd want to be able to send out updates, etc about podcasting.

But I don't think that I would be sending the info (outsourcing tips & podcast stuff) to the same group of people. So would I have to have 2 seperate mailings?
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:21 am

Yep I would defintely do two different mailing lists as the people who are interested in hiring a VA probably won't want to know all about your podcast... keeping them separate keeps them more focused and targeted.

Are you signed up to my mailing list Tishia? I'm not saying mine is great but it could give you an idea of what I send out to my list.

My target is similar to yours (internet marketers) and so I send them outsourcing tips, information on making money online (thought not too much or too hypey), articles I've added to my site and any other information I feel relates - like when I was on WAHMTalkRadio I sent an email to my list.

Do you have Aweber? You can easily set up more than one list.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby tishialee on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:46 pm

Hey Angela,

Yeah I think I signed up for your list the other day when I was at your site (looks great by the way).

I haven't purchased a membership at Aweber yet because I don't want to be paying for something I'm not using yet.
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development