Drilling down to a target market

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Drilling down to a target market

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:12 pm

I had a review on my website recently by someone who gave me some great business advice. He suggested that I am too broad with my services and that if I get very specific and offer something I can specialize in it will be a lot easier to find clients.

This is so true, I see people offering ONLY transcription or only wordpress blog customization, etc... and I am trying to be all things to all people and it's only hurting I think.

I need to increase my income so that I'm making enough so I need to make a decision on what it is I really like and I'm really good at that I can provide the best value to my clients.

Anyone ever had experience with making this type of decision? I'm determined to have an expertise in something instead of a 'jack of all trades'! :)

Angela
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mila on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:44 pm

I think it's good to always have a specific area you're the expert in but when you're starting out in something like virtual assistance you have to be careful you don't niche yourself too much... at the beginning you may need to take on a bunch of different things until you have a really full and steady client base.

Is there anything specific you like doing the most out of all your tasks?

Once you have an idea, you can always build a separate site that only showcases your expert area and start promoting that...once you build up enough clients you can let the other one go.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Mila on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:46 pm

I just wanted to also you can drill in on a market rather than an expertise. So for example you can be the VA for speakers or internet marketers or direct sales people. So you can niche either in your market or your services.
Mila

Postby sti1990 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:14 pm

This SAME question has been on my mind a lot so thanks, Angela, for posting it and thanks, Mila, for the logical advice.
sti1990
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby soapin'Angela on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks Mila that is great advice! Actually I did post this some sort of think to Mom Masterminds and Alice said the same thing. I have been targeting internet marketing but I guess I just feel my skills are a little too scattered and I need to become known better for being great at something LOL...

I like the idea of a small specialty site for the things I am thinking of specializing in , thanks :)
soapin'Angela

Postby tishialee on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Angela I know what you mean about skills being scattered, that's how I am too.

If I could stay busy with just transcription work that's probably what my speciality would be because I absolutely LOVE it!
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Mila on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Alice said the same thing.

I guess great minds think alike :lol:

Michel Fortin gave me some advice a while back and that was to not "look" for your niche let it find you. Keep doing a great job and eventually that one thing will stand out, not only to you but to other people as well.... I thought that was great advice.

Tishia, go for it -- offer transcription services to speakers and coaches or marketers. There's a good niche there for anyone who really wants to pursue it. There is so much audio floating around online.
Mila

Postby tishialee on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 pm

My transcription services are starting to stand out - people are finding me from all different aspects (coming across my website, word of mouth, etc) and I love it! :-)
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:23 am

Wow that's awesome Tishia!

Lately I've had quite a few people tell me that I have a talent for writing, and copywriting... so I'm thinking that's something that may have found me. That is great advice though Mila and I'm going to keep doing what I do and see if copywriting continues to pop out at me :)...

:)
Angela
soapin'Angela

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 am

Well, if you do start doing more copywriting, are you going to still do the other VA work that you've been doing?
Mara B

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Good question Mara! I don't know... I'm still kinda all over the place on what I want to actually provide as a service... It's so tough to pick! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing as Mila said until something REALLY jumps out.
soapin'Angela

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development