Lap Top Computers

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Lap Top Computers

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:51 pm

Has anyone ever purchased one of Wal-Mart's laptop computers they sell for a couple hundred bucks? Is it worth it or not?

I really despertely need a laptop (well ok so I don't desperately need it but I desperately want it...LOL) and I've looked at some at Wal-Mart because they are cheaper than purchasing one from a computer store or Dell (or somewhere like that).

I don't think I need an expensive one because I won't be doing alot of work on it just basic things like checking email, blog posting, etc,etc. So I figure a wal-mart cheapo will be sufficient but I don't know much when it comes to computers.

Any suggestions????
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:23 pm

Typically you get what you pay for but for basic stuff, I think if you get a mid-priced one, you'd be okay. I'm getting one too for the same reason, just to do basic stuff. Like when my internet at home goes down, I can go sit at somewhere in town with wifi to keep working.

I've been looking at Walmart too but haven't made a decision yet. My sister bought one about 6 months ago for roughly $400 and it's working fine for her. She does email, blogs, pays bills and surfs mostly.

If you decide to get one, let me know what kind you end up with and how you like it.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby amurray on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:51 pm

Take a look on Ebay. If your comfortable buying off ebay you get some good prices on new & used laptops. I have bought several used laptop & always got what was listed.

Good Luck.

Andy
amurray
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby avonfromstubby on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:04 pm

You can find a pretty decent one at pawn shops, too. There are lots of sites that can show/tell you how to disable any passwords you might find on them or you can take it to the Geek Squad and have them wipe the hard drive clean for you.

All in all, not a bad investment.
avonfromstubby
New to Internet Based Moms

Keep an eye out for BestBuy

Postby pplprincess on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41 am

My other half used to work at Best Buy, then he went to Circuit City.

Now we both work from home.

Anyway/

If you aren't comfortable with E-Bay which is your best option (In my humble opinion) then go to Best Buy and keep and eye out on sales.

They have the best service plans. They will instal almost any program you want for free when you buy the computer AND you can usually catch a good sale on a laptop for about $400.

I was looking at a Sales magazine yesterday and they have some brand new PC's for sale with huge hard drive, light weight, that will most likely last for a long time, available to $400 - $500.

Check out BestBuy.com or CircuitCity.com

So take a look around. Use google and type in something like;

new laptop- $400 - Lots of memory

(whatever your specifications are) GOOGLE rocks as a search engine.

Let me know if you need any help. We have a few family members that work at computer retail stores.

I would go with Walmart as a last resort. They don't have computer tech guys so if something goes wrong you are going to PAY for it to get fixed.

For all that spend a few extra bucks and get a good laptop.

Liz
elizabethmh59@yahaoo.com
pplprincess

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:00 am

well ok so I don't desperately need it but I desperately want it...LOL

hahaha me too! But I bought a website instead, lol.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby Mara B on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 am

I think I would rather go with someplace like CompUSA, Best Buy, a computer store. With WalMart, if something happens, you're out of luck. With electronics or computer stores, you're more likely to get a decent warranty in case something happens to it.
Mara B

Postby KellyMcCausey on Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm shopping for a puter right now and thinking about going with a powerful laptop. I prefer to shop directly with Dell or Gateway and get the three year full repair plan from them.

Or - in your case Tishia, I would recommend seeing Chris at Alpine Computer so that you have a local contact for help.

I would never buy from Walmart for business - only for casual use.
Work at Home Moms Talk Radio
http://www.wahmtalkradio.com
KellyMcCausey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Dont do Gateway

Postby pplprincess on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:24 am

My parents and I got a computer from Gateway not too long ago. Actually both of my parents had Gateway computers. I can tell you from experience that alot of problems with Gateway computers require you to send the PC out. Not just to the store but we are talking 6-8 weeks while you have no pc.

The downside to Dell (I am currently using a Dell Latitude Lap Top) is that almost all of the parts you will need to replace will have to be bought from Dell. Dell parts are expensive.

I will give you an example. The battery for this Laptop is 149.99. If I were able to go to Circuit City and buy a more generic battery it would be 69.99. Circuit City would put it in for me.

Dell is a great computer buy very high priced.

My suggestion is to get the three year service plan from Circuit City. Or buy the two year then extend it.

Liz
pplprincess

Postby Keri Wolf on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:15 am

I bought a Dell laptop about 3 months ago and love it! I've bought my last two computers through Dell and have had very good luck with them. The only thing I don't like right now is Windows Vista.
Keri
Keri Wolf
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Vista

Postby pplprincess on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am

Vista is evil. If you can get the xp installed onto your new pc. At least until they get the bugs out of vista. It is still to new to be worth getting.

Thank god our cars aren't like computers. =)

Liz
pplprincess

Re: Vista

Postby Mel on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:53 am

pplprincess wrote:At least until they get the bugs out...

... and I'm only working until I win the lottery. I think it'll take about the same length of time. :lol:
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby sara08852 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:20 pm

What an interesting topic. I am also thinking about getting a new laptop, I'm glad I read this thread. Thanks guys.
I make quality custom crib bedding at low prices.
My work is featured on Squidoo.
sara08852

Postby mtorrini on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:26 pm

I am also looking for a laptop- trying to keep it on the inexpensive side.
For what it's worth, I've been in IT for 8+ years and have worked on both towers and laptops.
Unlike the others though, I never buy the warrantie, but that's because I either fix it myself or know enough people in the field that can lend a hand.
Anyway, right now I am looking at a Dell (oh that pink one IS cute), Sony Vaio, or a Toshiba. I am also looking for Windows XP, NOT Vista as it is known to suck the life out of your battery. I am also wanting 1GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive to hold all my family pics as well as all the photos and illustrators I design for my websites.
We have a HP laptop and it works fine, kind of slow. It gets hot FAST and it is loud- sounds like it is going to take flight.
We also have an IBM tower, running Win98- works fine but is incompatible with most current downloads and programs.
We also have a macintosh laptop- tiny little thing, but fast- that runs games for the kids.
Ok, how many computers do I need in this house????
~megan
mtorrini

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:48 pm

My husband bought an Acer laptop about 18 months ago. We like it pretty well, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to make upgrades very easily. We haven't had the need yet, but I'm sure we will before TOO long. :)
Mara B

Next

Return to Getting Started