What are your shipping procedures?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

What are your shipping procedures?

Postby mtorrini on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:43 am

For those of you who ship products out of your home, how do you do it? Do you use shipping/label software? A courier service? Do you just box it up and take to the post office?
Need to find the best way for my business and would love to hear all theoptions available.
Thanks, Megan
mtorrini
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:23 pm

You can print postage, with a credit/debit card, right off the USPS website. Or you can get a postage meter and postage through places like Pitney Bowes. If you're shipping anything over 13 ounces, though, you have to go to the Post Office to ship. They won't allow you to drop them in drop boxes any longer.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby mtorrini on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:26 pm

Thank you Mara.
If I can run labels from their site, that is awesome.
My company uses Pitney Bowes and at this point it is not something I need. Besides, I do not feel like dealing with the meter fees and especially do not want to deal with the upgrades. Seems a PB rep is at our company every 6 months saying we need to upgrade.
Thanks again.
~megan
mtorrini

Re: Shipping

Postby visuals4u on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:35 pm

If you are receiving payments via PayPal, you can also print shipping labels from Paypal's site. As for me, I just package it (mostly with re-used boxes & mailers to cut down on expenses) and take items to the Post Office. (I don't list items with UPS shipping anymore because they're too costly). Most of my packages are shipped Parcel Post - though customers will request priority shipping more during the holidays.

- La'Shon
eBay seller
visuals4u

Postby sil on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:02 am

I also use the USPS page to ship my packages. I also have a small digital scale at home. I get the quote from the USPS page and then I print my labels on line and voila...

Please note that if you want to ship first class the page does not give an option to do it. Only works with services like priority, express, international priority and so on.

Good luck with your business, :D
Sil
www.smart-mommy.com
BABY PAK, 3 in 1: Purse/Diaper Bag/ Cooler
sil

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 am

If you're printing online via the USPS website while you're there just request a postman pickup and they will come to your door the next day and take any outgoing packages you have :D You can even request envelopes and boxes from the website and have them sent right to your home, still free of charge for priority packaging. No more trips to the post office! It's an especially nice feature during the holidays when the post office lines are so long.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks, Loretta. I didn't know you could get them to come pick-up your packages. That's good to know. I was aware of being able to print postage through PayPal, but forgot about it. Thankfully I don't have to worry about shipping things that often, but it's good to have options if needed.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:37 pm

And I noticed they just changed around the site of the holidays and the schedule page gets kind of buried.

http://www.usps.com/pickup/welcome.htm

;)
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby mtorrini on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:00 am

Thanks to everyone for their reply- I just happened to log on and see you guys were discussing this topic.
I have been MIA for quite awhile- been buried with work, freelance writing, kids and getting this biz up and running.
It is almost done...
I ended up puchasing a small scale from USPS- same procedure as sil mentioned.
As far as packaging and boxes- since it is an eco-friendly store, I order recyclable boxes and actually use the least amount of packaging- because too much is a waste- and it is all recycled.
Thanks for your well wishes- will let you know when it's "live". I am excited, it will be fun.
love your mama-
peace,
Megan
mtorrini

Postby sq625 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:01 pm

I sell a lot of items on Ebay. I always ship Priority Mail (I love the free boxes). And I live close to the post office. Plus their automated postal station sure beats standing in line.
What is online writing? Writing online for money can be a great work from home job.
sq625

Postby suzeygal on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:49 pm

We use to own a couple of small local businesses and sold on ebay out of our stores. At that time, we used priority mail through the USPS as well. With the options and additions using priority mail, and the free boxes of course.. sure made things easier on us.
Susan
suzeygal
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Return to Getting Started