Mr. Snow Man?? PLEASE visit me!

from Mel

I mentioned that we used to live in the Pacific NW. It??s been about 4 years since we moved and I still miss it terribly. This time of year is especially bad because I absolutely loved the winters. We lived in the mountains where the kids sometimes trick or treated in snow and at times it accumulated into several feet. There were times when the roads would be shut down for days and the kids would ride snowmobiles up and down the streets. We??d be without electricity so we played games and told stories by candle light. We??d cook on the wood stove and spend the day outside making snow forts and having snowball fights. I know for many it may sound nuts to miss that kind of weather but it really was great living there.

To see the flip side of things, winters here in the south consist of a few snow flurries, lots of ice and bitter cold wind. To me, living in this kind of weather is crazy. Once you get cold, you can??t get warm?? even in the house! You can drive on snow pack but don??t dare go out on icy roads. Unless you get up at the crack of dawn, you might actually miss those few snow flurries. And worst of all, if we do get an inch of snow, the entire state shuts down!

Is it too much to ask for us to get a decent snow? I mean enough to make a real snowman and actually have him sit in the yard more than 2 hours without melting? The best we??ve been able to do so far is two small balls of snow, so every year we name him gutless frank or something like that since he??s missing his middle ball.

Ok, so that??s my whine for the month.

Does anyone else get homesick? Is there a particular time of year or an event that triggers it?

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • MySpace

Related posts:

Comments

7 Responses to “Mr. Snow Man?? PLEASE visit me!”
  1. Annette Elton says:

Hi Mel,

Did you ever see the holiday special, I think it’s called “A Year Without a Santa Claus” where Mrs Clause tries to get the Heat Mizer to let his bro Snow Mizer make snow in SouthTown?

Made me think of you and your wish:-)

I grew up in Michigan where we had amazing fall color. Now, living in Colorado, I find that the fall is lackluster at best and miss the smell of the cider mill, leaves in the yard, and the sound of Big Ten football in the air. I wouldn’t dream of leaving Colorado but I do miss the fall.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Annette

2. mila sidman says:

I love snow and wish it would snow here more often. It’s been a little frosty lately so who knows. There’s just nothing like a white Christmas.

I grew up in hot climate so we would even go swimming on Christmas sometimes but I swear I must have had a previous life where I lived somewhere cold and snowy!

All that stuff is somehow just too familiar to me and makes me feel very much “at home.”

3. Keri says:

I have enough snow for everyone! I live in Illinois and we have had so much snow in December. I think we have had as much snow just in December than what we have in an entire winter usually.

I do think the snow is beautiful and don’t mind it near as much now that I don’t have to drive to work. I do worry about my husband driving in it though.

4. Mara B. says:

I so know what you mean, Mel. When I lived up in Kentucky as a kid, we had a couple of years where it snowed so much that school was closed for the entire month of January!

The last really good snow we had around here was in 2000/2001. I was pregnant with my youngest son, and my oldest had a blast playing in the snow. My youngest has never really “seen” a good snow, so I wouldn’t mind having a decent snow down here in the South, either.

5. Mel says:

Happy New Year everyone! Still no snow on my end even though the news anchors keep predicting flurries.

Annette, I haven’t seen that holiday special but maybe I should team up with Mrs Clause.

Mila – Seen any snow yet? I can’t imagine swimming on Christmas. That just seems so… wrong! lol

Mara – We had a foreign exchange student stay with us one year and he’d never seen snow. The first snow we had he went outside and after about 10 minutes came in with a shocked look and said “I didn’t know it would be wet”. We had the best time that year with him experiencing things he’d never given much thought to.

Keri – drag out the roll-away bed. I’m moving in. ;-)

6. I’ve got a lot laying around, if you’d like to borrow some ;) We’ve gotten more snow this year then I can remember for a long time. I guess that doesn’t make you feel any better ;)

7. RadioGirl says:

We’ve don’t have as much snow as I grew up being used to. Last year, we had quite the dumping that reminded me of childhood – this year, not so much.

Your Pacific Northwest winters remind me of my very early childhood years…which would make sense because I lived on Vancouver Island then. I remember the year it snowed and it took the whole yard of snow to make a tiny snowman who melted the next day.

I haven’t gotten homesick for a place, but I sure do miss some people this time of year. Well, not so much now…but over the holidays. Mom’s birthday is coming up at the end of the month and I’m worried about how I’ll hold up through that.